All reviewsfree dinnerown bathrooma private double roomgriffith observatorychinese theatrefree parkingshort staymetro stationbeverly hillshosteldormfamebackpackershollywoodpartyingmicrowavemidnight
Reviewed 21 May 2018

I have stayed in shared dorms for 5 months, and this was by far the dirtiest! I rarely saw the cleaner, belongings of previous room mates were accumulating around the room, the floor smelt of urine, and the 12 shared bedroom dorm felt very cramped for space. There were also insects around the room and rubbish lying around. The shared bathroom was the same.

I watched the video of the hostel online beforehand and thought it looked fairly clean and sociable, and to be fair the hostel did offer good social events and opportunities to mingle with fellow travellers. The majority of the desk staff were friendly too. But I dreaded going back each night to sleep in that dirty room... my card key also stopped working everyday.

Overall good location for a very short stay and their free breakfast was okay if you like toast or sugary cereals, but my room was very dirty. I would choose to stay elsewhere if you can!

Room Tip: Smaller shared rooms may be cleaner, but would look elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank BackpackingChick
Reviewed 16 May 2018

This hostel has a good location, a decent price, and friendly staffs but the problem was the shared dormitory was messy, dirty and with bags, personal belongings scattered all over the place, even in the bathroom and in the shower. I couldn't even dare stay in the bathroom for long because the floor was sandy and looked like it hasn't been cleaned for a while. There's no soap or shampoo provided.
Someone in our dorm was drunk, disrupted everyone in the room and woke me up 3 times in the middle of the night. We had a full schedule the next day and were exhausted due to the poor sleep quality. The staff handled the disruptive drunk girl in a professional manner, but I wouldn't return to a shared dormitory.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

When looking for a hostel to spend our first 2 nights on our month long USA trip, we looked for something highly reviewed, with a good location but also as cheap as possible. Banana bungalow definitely ticked all the boxes and also provided something which was on our “nice to haves” list which was private rooms!

Upon checkin and and throughout our whole stay the service we were provided was amazing. All workers were friendly and always greeted you if you were walking past them.

Located quite conveniently to everything you may need from groceries to take out food. Closely located to bars and clubs as well as the main Hollywood strip.

Can’t wait for our next visit on our last few days before flying out!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Graeme I
Reviewed 15 March 2018

This place is quite cool and located in a great part of LA but here is the problem... okay, it's a hotel I know but the plastic covers on the mattress along with the WORST polyester sheets and pathetic blanket are horrible! Secondly, the bunk beds are not secure to the walls and therefore any movement from your co-sleeper is oblivious. I've never stayed at a hostel where no soap is provided in the shower. Breakfast starts at 8:00? Really? Really? Is everyone really that lazy that they want to sleep in? No reading lights on the beds so the whole room is lit up like the Brooklyn Bridge until someone in the room decides to finally turn it off.
This place could get better ratings with some changes but in the end, what are you looking for? A decent bed! You won't find it here!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank bernardlaborie
Reviewed 9 March 2018

The hostel is close to tourist spots, for instance you can walk to walk of fame because it is in the same street. the hostel is comfortable, the hostel reception is 24 hours. the most problems of LA is parking, because it is very expensive and the hostel offers free parking. i chose private room and my room was clean and spacious. inside of the room there was a kitchen and a bathroom. the staff was friendly.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple