All reviews free dinner own bathroom mixed dorm griffith observatory chinese theatre short stay metro station beverly hills hostel fame backpackers hollywood partying microwave midnight laundry
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We arrived earlier than the check in time and they went up and had our room made ready for us. We spent about 2 hours in our small private room when the guy at the front desk came up to tell us that we were going to be moving to a regular private (larger room) at no cost. When we were going to Disneyland the shuttle wasn't going to stop at this Banana Bungalow, so the manager personally drove us to the West Hollywood one, telling us about the sights as we passed them which I thought was very cool and extremely nice of him. The staff went above and beyond their responsibilities to help us out with everything we needed.
Location was great, just down the street from Walk of Fame, Madame Tussauds, Kodak Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe and many other great tourist points. I highly recommend staying at this hostel if you're making a trip to Hollywood!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 15 December 2010

My fiance and I stayed for 7 nights in a private room.

We had booked a small private and were upgraded to a regular private with a full kitchen which was awesome. We had a double bed, spare single, full bathroom, full kitchen, air con and satellite TV.

During our stay there were 4 nights of free beer with 2 nights including free dinner (BBQ).
These nights had a comedy night, karaoke night, sister hostel night and a warm up night before heading out to a club. (more on this below)

The room was clean and tidy but quite worn in. There were a few stains on the sheets and 1 hole in our top sheet. There was also a couple of spots of blood on the carpet and the oven was so smokey it set off the alarm. However, for the money, these are to be expected and they didn't detract from our experience at all and even though everything was oldish it was all very clean.

The service we received was a little mixed with a majority of the staff being great. Al, one of the desk guys was a champ and busted out a number of hits at the karaoke. There were some desk staff who were less than helpful and seemed too "busy" with other things to actually help you. Overall good though.

The vibe if the place was great for the whole time and was a good place to meet people and for solo travellers as well as us as a couple. (There were plenty of couples) Also, the internet was free and worked but got flaky at night when lots of people were on it.

Overall, great value experience, a little walk from the main drag but that helps keep the burgers from ruining your six pack.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This place looked kinda cool but it was a horrible experience. There was noise until 6am. No way you could sleep. Then there were bed bugs and the security dude was a total idiot as they close the office at night and only have one security guard to keep watch over the place. The place needs to be shut down. It was filthy, towels were filthy, beds were filthy, just totally nasty. I hope they shut this place down.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2010

So my boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 night booked for one then had had a look around book the 2nd night straight away. It's a really cool place they have free beer and bbqs free comedy shows all sorts of cool things every night the cleaners do a basic clean everyday but I needs one really big one not that it is bad but it's due. And it all gets locked up at night so it's really safe :) good value

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I stayed at Banana Bungalow for 7 nights in September with a group of friends. When we checked in we were upgraded to a room with a kitchen. The room had two bedrooms (2 sets of bunks each), a kitchen with table and a TV in one of the bedrooms.

The hostel has free phones to call taxis, car hire, and any local calls which is great. We hired a car from the place recommended by the hostel and it wasn’t too expensive. Be careful when you rent a car though, they always try to slip in extra charges, the wee sneaks! The hostel has day trips to theme parks, a city tour etc. If I were to go again I would go on the LA tour ran by Banana Bungalow, because apparently you get to see the Hollywood sign up close and all of the famous peoples houses. We went on a Starline tour and it was not worth the money. I now have photos of celebrities gates but I can’t remember who’s gate is who’s and the most distant photo of the Hollywood sign. Seriously not worth the money.

Anyways there is an AMAZING Thai restaurant right next door to the hostel (turn right when you leave the hostel). It is cheap (about US$7) and SOOO good. Subway and Dominos are also close by (turn left), and the main area of Hollywood Boulevard (where the Chinese Theatre etc is) is about a 20 minute walk away.

This hostel has the best breakfast of all the hostels I stayed in while in the US. You get a bowl of cereal and toast (with peanut butter and jelly, of course) and they have coffee and tea. You can also buy pancakes, bacon, eggs etc, they looked really good too.

The computers looked quite new, but quite often the internet wasn’t working. Also they have covered up the box to the computer so you can’t plug in a USB or earphones. But free’s free!

The hostel is very social, there are pool tables, parties at night (comedy nights, movie nights etc), and a theatre room with a big TV. They even had free barbeques some nights! I managed to sleep well each night as well, I didn’t find it noisy at all.

I agree that the parking there is pretty dodgy, but we had no problems with our car there, some boys “accidently” threw the basketball at it a few times but we gave them a piece of our mind! And it’s free parking, which is really good! Definitely get a car if you going to LA, especially if, like us, you want to see all the beaches (Huntington, Laguna, Newport, Long Beach, Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu).

Overall I was happy with my stay at this hostel. I would recommend it if you are staying in LA!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends