“They say Hell is an awful place! Well, so is the Voyager Motel. (Don't say you were NOT warned!)”

The Voyager Motor Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
The Voyager Motor Inn
Ranked #312 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I was very excited to take a visit to Los Angeles and for the price offered, my budget could easily afford. I really should have just used a credit-card and paid an extra $10-15 to stay at a legitimate motel/hotel.

This place has a LOT of nerve. This is another way of human torture. To give people the false impression that they would receive a decent nights sleep over the loud cries of infants, the blaring bumping music all night long. At first it was all rap music then hardcore metal to lul you to sleep! Some REAL nasty, raunchy, stuff seemed to be going on in the swimming pool that seemed very innappropriate for a "family" establishment. I sure hope they drain that pool often. They next night must have been swingers/orgy night in the jacuzzi! The sreaming pimps chastizing and smacking around their prostitutes and the extremely desparate crack-head/prostitutes soliciting door to door on the 1st level where I spent my first night were extrmely abnoxious and AGRESSIVE. (Touchy/graby)

After NOT getting a nights sleep I had to demand a room change. I was upgraded to Roach petting zoo. I had actually gone a lifetime without ever seeing a "roach". Well, I've seen a lifetimes worth, thanks to the ole Voyager! I mean roaches were EVERWHERE. They almost formed a mural over the bed. The next night there seemd to be a lot of police activity. Apparetly my next door drug-dealer neighbor decided he didn't like his girlfriend anymore so he tried to strangle her.

I won't get into the smells because they are truly UNREAL. I just CAN'T BELIEVE the wet carpets and the putrid smell of some type of animal urine, in 100% humidity.

I would not even drive down the same streer of this dump again. I was too afraid to sleep on the bed so I layed some blankets that I purchased and laid on the floor. The next morning I left all of it and got in my rental and drove away. Now living in west los angeles it just all seems like a bad dream on acid!

Please, please give this place a chance if if you need to be punished for some reason! Means you did something REALLY, REALLY BAD!

• Stayed: September 2011
19  Thank jayinLA72
There are newer reviews for The Voyager Motor Inn

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I had some work meetings in Northridge, so I needed a cheap place to stay. Up until this point in my life, all the cheap motels I'd ever stayed at were decent places to sleep, shower, and maybe watch TV. I thought all those stories about sleazy motels were just snobby exaggerations. Boy was I wrong.

First of all, the lady at the desk was not professional. She didn't seem to care that I was paying money for a service. She even gave me the wrong key. All of this, of course, was later put in perspective when I saw how crappy one day at this hotel could be.

As I walked down the hall to my room, I noticed that it was extremely hot and smelly. The sound of babies crying could be heard from literally every room. Apparently people camp out in this motel with their dysfunctional families. When I finally found my room, I found out my key didn't work. Great. I had to trek all the way back to their lobby, past the thugs and drug dealers hanging out by pool.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the room was the cockroaches scurrying for shelter. That's apparently common at these crappy motels in the area, but that alone was enough to make me want to leave. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice but to stay. The shower was moldy, and there was no soap/shampoo. The shower spray was like one of those rinse showers they have at some beaches in So Cal (weak). The carpet was stained and ugly.

That night, early in the AM, I heard a faint knocking on my door. At first I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but I heard it again. Yep, someone was actually knocking on my door, albeit very quietly, at 4:30 am. I deduced that it couldn't be housekeeping, and was probably someone I didn't need/want to talk with. I tried checking the peephole, bit the damn thing didn't work at all. The eerie knocking continued for about an hour. For all I know, it was probably the ghost of the person who got murdered in my room. A more likely scenario is that it was a junkie or a prostitute looking for something illegal.

As I left the next morning, the staff was in the middle of escorting a wandering drug addict/ prostitute from the premises. Maybe she was the one knocking on my door. They should have just let her stay because she matched the decorations.

Overall, this place gave me a new fear of god. I felt like I needed to take a shower after being in this smelly roach motel, even after I used the shower. The only reason anyone should stay here is if they're filming a documentary on America's worst motels. Don't believe the numbers (this one is #219 I believe). This one is the WORST. It's just waiting to be shut down and razed. Pay the extra 10$ and stay in a place that won't kill your inner child.

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere on this street.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
20  Thank baitkenh
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My wife was looking for a place for us to stay while she was on business in Van Nuys. The hotel was close to her work, so it seemed like a great idea. I wish I had known about TripAdvisor prior to. When she booked it, my wife comically said, "It's an inn, inns are always nice." She rethought that statement upon check-in.
After hurridly stashing everything from a GPS receiver to pocket change out of sight in the car and walking down a sidewalk quaintly lined with buildings sporting an assortment of bars on the windows, we made it to the front desk. The lobby, as others have stated, was nice. The nautical theme somewhat brigthened the mood... until it's time to speak with the desk clerk. This is made difficult by the pane of bullet-proof glass. The only good thing I can say about the hotel is the receptionist was friendly... And had the air of someone who knew the hotel where they worked was garbage.
The hallways were a confusing maze of outside-inside transitions with no real directions on the nifty sailing signs. Several of the lights in the hall were out, creating a wonderful atmosphere of a sinking ship.
After the journey to our room, we weren't expecting much. And we weren't disappointed. The television looked like a 70's edition that was dropped off the back of a truck, the floor had some sort of interesting stains that I chose not to inspect, the bedspread looked like the Dateline team came in and vomited when they turned on the blacklight.
The bathroom was where the fun began. Tiles falling off the walls, some sort of crusty mold growing everywhere, and a conspicously absent shower curtain. The towels were too disgusting to mention.
I refused to let my wife leave the room alone, and I spent most of the night staring at the door, ensuring the nefarious characters making the noises outside weren't going to come in.
Overall, the experience was actually enjoyable... but then again, I'm one of those people who find hilarity in the most atrocious situations imaginable. If you and your significant other can spend hours laughing at things crawling up the walls, then I highly recommend the Voyager Motor Inn!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
7  Thank peteyjared3
Reviewed 14 September 2007

This place is a dump! It's surrounding area smells like urine. The lobby is so nice but on the inside ... we got a non-smoking room and, what a surprise, it always smelled like cigarettes. The pool is nearly never cleaned, the bathrooms have mold, the towels are disgusting and look dirty, the roaches are EVERYWHERE, the beds ... I have no idea how I'll ever feel clean again. The covers had wholes from cigarettes ... the roof is stained from leakage, the doors are thin and flimsy. The neighbors- Police come often, this is a heaven for drug dealers are prostitutes. They always party late at night. No decent internet connection! It's just dial up!!! Plus the workers have no idea how to set it up! They have no idea how to do anything! This place is the WORST I have EVER stayed at. Don't come here!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank angel3625
Reviewed 26 June 2007

I found a coupon for this motel in one of these hotel savings directories and as the location of the motel and the price (43,99 plus tax per night) seemed ok I went there but had to learn that cheap is not everything. bugs, stains, dirty, people arguing and partying all night (even after complaining twice to the front desk), a management with barely no insight for the needs of customers who do not stay on weekly rates.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank jp9999