“Nothing like a good stir-fry”
Review of Big Wok

Big Wok
Ranked #48 of 197 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mongolian
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

We came across the Big Wok a few years ago while staying in Hermosa Beach while on vacation. Whenever we return to the area we make sure to visit for a fun and tasty meal. Back in the area for Spring Break, we decided to hit the Big Wok last night. Friday nights or at least this one was quite different than our past few visits. The place was hopping!!! People just kept on pouring in, which made the whole experience all the more fun. We’ve always found it a quirky place. Not much in the way of decor, it has an 90’s vibe, with tables crammed in to fill the space. Great spot for family or group dining especially on a night like last night, it was busy and noisy and fun to watch all the activity. For those who have not experienced a Mongolian BBQ, there are large round grills where you food is fried up in front of you while you watch and wait. You start off by loading your bowl with meat (thinly sliced and frozen), then similar to a salad bar there are lots and lots of different veggies you can add to your bowl. It is fun to watch some people squashing everything with their hands into one bowl while others fill two separate bowls to make their own super huge stir-fry. At the end of the self-serve food bar there are numerous flavoured waters, oils, sauces and spices along with recipes to make your own custom stir-fry. Once your bowl is filled and sauces and oils are added you head to the line for the grill station. Last nights line happened to be the longest we had seen while eating at the Big Wok. I had fun chatting with some of the other patrons. As usual, we all enjoyed our custom creations!! They were tasty, fresh and hot! If you like your food to be hot when you get it then you will surely love the Big Wok. I recommend this place to anyone looking to have fun while enjoying a good amount of fresh tasty food. Oh... did I mention it is all you can eat!!! Yup you can return and make as many stir fry plates as you can eat. When asked if you would like some bread or rice, both of which come with your meal... definitely take the bread. The rice is nothing special (steamed sticky white rice) but the bread is soooooo good! It is a very unique little pocket of fresh chewey goodness. Don’t forget to look around and observe what others have created it is all part of the fun... whoa... did you see the size of that guys plate!!!

1  Thank Stevieg22

Reviewed 14 February 2018

My favorite place to eat! I love Big Wok, The food is fantastic and the sesame seed biscuits are to die for. Its a great place as everyone can get exactly what they want and they are not tied to a menu. So well priced and all the staff are so lovely!

It would be great for a family meal with kids, a group or even a date. I would love to take kids here as you can make them really great little meals for even the fussiest little one.

I have moved away since and every time I go back I must visit this place.

1  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Everytime we come to visit my fiancee's family we stop in for dinner and enjoy it. Bog Wok has a large selection of meats, veggies and sauces for you to have cooked on the grill.

Our server made sure we had enough water, was professional and friendly. I recommend Big Wok to everyone!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I've eaten at Big wok several times, I feel that it's the best Mongolian Bar-B-que where I have eaten. it's a little more expensive than it used to be, but still a good price for what you receive. You can eat all you want while selecting what you want, from food to taste.
i also love the hot, fresh baked, little sesame biscuits that come with the meal. the palce is clean and the service is very good.
I recommend the spicy oils that you add to your taste.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

You go in and get in line for food, they set the table with drinks. We had 6 people, when we left they had a 25% service charge, said it was on the menu, but we never saw menus.