“Revisit to the Redwood Cafe for excellent PIZZA”
Review of Redwood Cafe

Redwood Cafe
Ranked #23 of 525 Restaurants in Modesto
Price range: US$11 - US$31
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At Redwood Café we have combined delicious food, a comfortable atmosphere, and outstanding service to deliver a truly one of a kind, casually elegant dining experience in Modesto. Come and enjoy a delicious meal or nosh on appetizers at the bar with an outstanding glass of our over 100 ever-changing wine selections today!
Reviewed 18 October 2015

After my first review, we decided to try it again because an employee went into detail about their awesome pizza oven. Pizza is my middle name; I love it and it's so hard to find a good one. I'm happy to say, the pizza was delicious and I'd go back for another. The atmosphere here is very lovely and relaxing.
I should mention how cold it is inside and both our visits were spent outside on the patio.
Bob C, I would love to try another steak bomb if you've doubled the portion of meat! It really was tasty.

Bob C, Owner at Redwood Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

So glad you came back to visit us Sher. Happy to hear you're a big fan of our staff and handcrafted pizzas. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

By the way, what could we have done differently to have earned the 5th star?

Hope to hear back,

-- Redwood Cafe

P.S. you can always customize your pizza to your preference!

Reviewed 16 October 2015

The atmosphere of this place is awesome! I didn't feel like I was in Modesto which is always a plus. The service was great- server was very polite and helpful. However, we sat right next to the entrance/exit for the kitchen and heard other servers bickering and cussing at each other for most of the night. Several times there were shrieks as servers almost crashed into each other coming around the corners. I was expecting to love the food! Some was great, but most was average. I loved the butternut squash soup and the coconut prawns... they were delicious! I ordered the filet mignon which was cooked nicely but the entire plate lacked flavor and was a little dry. I love spinach, but since it was my only vegetable, I was hoping for some flavor. Half way through, I realized my dish was dry due to the fact that they forgot the demi-glace. The server brought me some, but it also lacked flavor. My husband ordered the spicy Romano penne (he orders pasta wherever we go). We both tried it and were very disappointed. All you could taste was butter and spice, no creamy or cheesy flavor. And it needed salt. For dessert, we ordered the sampler platter. Dessert is always my favorite course so I was very excited. We tried the brownie first, which wasn't a brownie but rather a dry, tart chocolate cake. Next we tried the candied ginger gelato which was my favorite! It was delicious in a surprising way! Next, the pumpkin cheesecake which was average. Lastly, we sampled the pecan caramel cake. The flavors were delicious but the cake was dry/rock hard. So in summary, the bread, the butternut squash soup, coconut prawns, and the candied ginger gelato were hits at our table. But as far as steak goes, I would rather go to Texas Roadhouse as they have more flavor. Or Papapolloni in Oakdale. For pasta, try Bella Italia in Modesto.

Bob C, Owner at Redwood Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2015

It's disheartening to hear you weren't impressed with some of the menu items ordered, Lizzy. All of our dishes are served with a balanced combination of flavors to bring out the best of every dish, but of course, you can request for it to be served how you like it -- the same goes for our desserts! As for for the table you were seated at, this doesn't sound like us at all. We apologize for the inconvenience and we're always happy to discuss any concerns you have in more detail. We do hope you'll give us one more chance. We're confident we can serve you a meal you'll love from the first bite to the last!

All the best,

Reviewed 23 September 2015

I was in a party of 8. Every one us thought that this was THE best restaurant in Modesto. We were seated in the "Wine Cellar" which was a treat. The service was beyond excellent. The food superb. Their recently graduated chef from the Culinary Institute prepared the food perfectly. 3 of us had steak prepared as ordered, 2 had the shrimp with cheese grits (which I can recommend) and I can't remember what the others had as I was so into my shrimp and grits. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Hi Bev,

We are pleased to hear about your fabulous visit with your party. Our goal is focusing on delivering the best 5 star experience to all of our customers. We now know we have met your expectations. Thank you for noting our Executive Chef Gema Martinez. We look forward in seeing you soon! Follow us on Twitter @ theredwoodcafe and like us on Facebook.

All the best,

Reviewed 1 September 2015

A very nice spot, though was not prepared for the romantic atmosphere. However the food was very good and the prices were not unreasonable.

Hi Miles,

Thank you so much for your star rating and your review. It is always lovely to read about our customers whom are out of state. Our restaurant has different dining areas for your enjoyment. We hope the next time you visit us, we can better accommodate you with your table. Just curious -- did you take any awesome #foodie pics for our us to share on our Facebook page?

Talk soon,

Reviewed 1 September 2015

One of our favorite places :) Food is good service is great! The only bad thing is on weekends the patios are often booked for events, and thats the BEST place to sit but does not stop us from coming in on saturdays. PS Try the moscow mules yummy!

1  Thank Brianna D
Bob C, Owner at Redwood Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2015

Nothing like great feedback puts our smile on our faces, Brianna. Thank you for sharing your awesome experience. We try to accommodate everyone's visit at the same time, sometimes we get booked ahead of time for events on certain areas of the restaurant. We hope next time you visit us, our patios will be available for you to enjoy. By the way, what is your favorite item on the menu?

We hope to hear back,