“Sadly disappointing for our favorite Modesto restaurant”
Review of Dewz Restaurant

Dewz Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 519 Restaurants in Modesto
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 15th and 16th St.
Reviewed 13 October 2017

For years we have loved Dewz. We not only celebrate birthdays and anniversaries there, but we go there just for a nice dinner for no occasion at all, and in most cases the meals have been very good and worth the money....but not tonight. We went there for my wife's 56th birthday and we had pork ribs as appetizers - which were excellent, we had the Ceasar's salad, which was excellent (as always), and we had the Kobe beef style heart of the rib-eye steak, which costs $45 and was definitely NOT worth the money. One of our steaks was overdone (it came medium to medium well and we ordered them medium rare) and one of the two steaks was MUCH smaller than the other - noticeably smaller - and of course the smaller one was the one they overcooked. Neither of the two steaks came anywhere close to being worth $45. I've had expensive steaks at great steak houses in San Francisco and this wasn't that. This was an average steak. I've cooked much better, much more tender steaks on the grill in my back yard that I've gotten at Costco. The "Kobe style heart of the rib-eye....well, just choose something else.
Worse that the steaks were the side dishes (mashed potatoes and broccoli, both of which were cold....I'm talking at or below room temperature). When we took a fork full of them we just looked at each other in surprise and said, "These are cold!" at the same time. It was shocking, and so disappointing given that we've had so many great dinners at Dewz over many, many years. This was just....BAD. Had this been the first meal we'd ever had at Dewz we wouldn't have ever had a second. It will be some time before we give them another try.

2  Thank jjeppson

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I have been to Dewz many times for both work and play. The menu has a great selection and the staff is very attentive. One of the best in the valley.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

The service was excellent, and the waiter very friendly. The food was very good and the steak was prepared to the right temperature.

If I lived in the area, this would be a frequent dining location.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We were very disappointed in the food. The Seabass was not cooked properly it was greasy and the entire dish was flavorless (I could not eat it, I tried) the waiter was so sweet he came over because he could see I couldn't eat it. He took it back and brought a new york, which was dry and chewy. No possible way we would return. So sad it ruined my husband's anniversary with me. He just wanted to show me a good time and really all I could eat was the vegetables. I can steam vegetables at home. And not spend $$$. He is an easy going guy, and he looked really disappointed. He had the kobe which was also dry and had a bell pepper sause on it that took away from any of the steak's minimal flavor.

1  Thank Angie M
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner. The steak is delicious! Their deserts are the best. And the wine is spectacular.