2 people have started booking this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$152
Hotels.comUS$152
PricelineUS$144
Trip.comUS$190
eDreamsUS$144
TravelocityUS$152
1,162 results
All reviews historic rooms great location farmers market public parking fisherman's wharf rooms are small street parking continental breakfast walking distance convention center cannery row stayed one night elevator furniture cereal fireplace aquarium
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 June 2021

Definitely a pet friendly hotel, as we were greeted at the door by an 80 pound, solid dog that the owners were very proud of. Finding out there is no parking lot was “a few blocks down” was our next surprise after a long drive. Furniture was beautiful in our room, but walls are PAPER thin, and we heard every word the family said ALL NIGHT and pre sunrise. Yelling and screaming kids. Called front desk….no answer. Dressed and carried luggage down for the breakfast the check in girl told us about. Pump pot coffee, sweet and salty granola bars and instant oatmeal you could make in the cardboard coffee cups….oh boy. Staff could care less about my attempt to share my feelings and question about why they didn’t answer my call. Sorry. Just not a good experience. No. Don’t think we will give it another chance. Pay the extra $$ and stay at the Marriott across the street. Great breakfast at downtown bakery, Alta!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Heather Mullaly, Marketing at The Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2021

Hello,

We're sorry to hear this was your experience, and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback so that we can follow up with our management team about your concerns. Although COVID protocols have changed the kind of breakfast we are able to offer, we're looking at options for a more robust breakfast offering in the future! Being a historic hotel, sound does travel more on the historic side - so we'd suggest staying on the deluxe side which has been updated and is more sound-proof. We apologize for the desk not answering your call; our Front Desk is staffed 24/7 and we will follow up with them.

Heather

Reviewed 10 June 2021

We stay here every time we go to Monterey. The staff and hotel location are just perfect for all activities in Monterey. We like being close to the bike path and the pier. Our vacations are solely for pleasure. We go to the aquarium. We bike ride and use our scooters on the bike path. Then we end our day relaxing in our room. We are quiet and enjoy the quiet, peaceful atmosphere of this wonderful Hotel. That is why we keep coming back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Isabella M, Marketing at The Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2021

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your continued support! It's great to hear that our hotel is the perfect location for your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2021

I traveled north from southern Ca. to join family members for a gravesite service for my parents. My sister had tried to book one night here for two rooms-my brother and his wife, and myself. The hotel told her no. So I booked for 2 nights-June 4 and 5. When I got there, I was told I had 2 rooms for 2 nights each and they had already withdrawn that from my bank. What? The lady at the front desk that night was so rude and disrespectful-it was not her fault nor the fault of the hotel and it must be my fault. Again, what? The room was small. No coffee maker. Small bathroom and bathtub, but that could have been overlooked except for the hallway rugs that needed to be vaccuumed, the damp carpet of the room and the used q-tip in the sitting area on our floor. My brother's next door room was supposed to be a king-clearly not. When he asked, she again was so rude and disrespectful-and told him he had a king reservation, then said she never said that (although the 3 of us clearly heard her). I got an allergic reaction from the wet carpet. We only stayed one night. I called my bank to file a complaint and on the day I received a refund from the hotel, they put in another charge for 2 nights for 2 rooms. On that date, I was actually back in southern Ca. and nowhere near Monterey. Is this anyway to do business? Had to hustle for a room for the second night, but I managed to get one elsewhere and it was a much more pleasant experience with no damp rug and much quieter. Oh and ps. My brother's room had a damp carpet also. So our trip that was already emotional was marred by this terrible hotel experience.

Room tip: Had to call the front desk at 12:30 a.m. because of noisy upstairs neighbors. Could hear people on the street around us -late at night.

Hi there,
I apologize for your experience at our hotel. Your experience is unacceptable and I have shared your comments with hotel management. I would like to make things right and if you would like to further discuss your stay, please email isabellam@moonstonehotels.com.

Reviewed 9 June 2021

Can’t beat the location and the rooms are moderately priced but....the carpets are old and gross, the walks are paper thin (you hear EVERYTHING), the rooms are tiny, no mini fridge, barely any WiFi, and the parking situation is just odd (you will literally be told there are signs that say two hour parking but it’s not enforced. And that’s the official hotel recommendation).
So I wouldn’t say to completely avoid but definitely know what you’re getting into.

Hi Holly,
We apologize for your experience at our hotel. We want all guests to feel at home during their stay and we understand your frustrations. I will share your comments with the appropriate teams and we recommend booking in the deluxe wing which features larger rooms and updated amenities. We have parking recommendations for guests, and I will remind the front desk to suggest those to guests.

Reviewed 24 May 2021 via mobile

When choosing to stay here, keep in mind this is a historic type of building. This means high ceilings, beautiful antique furniture, stunning windows, etc. It has some modern amenities such as elevator, toiletries provided, and even during this time of just-post-pandemic a small breakfast and coffee were provided. But you must also remember it means thin walls, tiny TV, no microwave or coffee pot. I overheard a woman complaining about the thin walls. Also dog-friendly so if you don’t like staying with pets, be advised you will be. There were many dogs here. The location is epic. We walked everywhere!!! It is on Alvarado so right above and next to coffee places, restaurants, bars etc. The parking situation will be a lot better once they can resume valet. A nice romantic place.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Isabella M, Marketing at The Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2021

Hi Kristine,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the location as it is perfect for guests who want to be within walking distance of several Monterey attractions. We hope you're able to visit us again.