“Not fancy, but warm, caring service and good value”
Review of Colton Inn

Colton Inn
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The Colton Inn isn't much to look at, compared with the many fancier options available in Monterey, but it provided excellent value and a comfortable stay. While the rooms do not appear to have been updated in many years, they were clean and quiet. The staff was very helpful, and what I appreciated most was that they made the effort to put out the continental breakfast an hour early to accommodate the guests who were in town to run a race that started early on the Sunday morning.

The location is about five minutes walk from downtown, and maybe fifteen or twenty from Cannery Row. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank cjstephens
ColtonInn, General Manager at Colton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Thanks for your postive comments about our property. We hope to see you next year for the race, if not before....thanks again!

Dave
GM

Reviewed 9 November 2011

The Colton Inn is located just south of downtown on a quiet street. The rooms are nothing really special, but comfortable, clean and quiet. I did have a problem with the first one, but they were quick to remedy the problem. The breakfast is minimal, but good coffee is available all day. There are certainly more luxurious and more romantic options nearby, but Colton Inn is an excellent value. I would definitely go back, especially on a solo trip. For a romantic getaway, probably not.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DavyF
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Upon arrival, Checked in Lobby, had Fresh Coffee, and Fireplace was going! I reserved A room with a Private Spa, and it was worth every cent. Room was spacious, Comfortable bedding. Room had everything we needed, including Microwave & Fridge. Spa was spacious full size 2 person unit, Not one of those jetted tubs where you are bumping into each other. Check out was at noon, which gave us more a.m. time in the spa. On site Free parking, continental Breakfast with good fresh variety, and walking distance to Downtown Monterey. Lobby staff very Friendly, asked if everything was ok upon check out. Would Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Said they were putting us "at the end" where it was quiet. At 7:15AM I was awakened by what sounded like someone chain sawing tree limbs. it was Guys in the parking lot of the Library that you could see from one window with leaf blowers. That was Monday. Those things should be outlawed! Then, the next morning I was awakened TWICE by a maid unlocking, opening our door saying "Housekeeping", stepping into the room as she said it! And I had put up my own extra "Do Not Disturb" sign(as I always do) and couldn't believe she did it a second time 45 minutes later! and we still had 2 and a half HOURS to go before Checkout!! They let you take up to 3 movies up to your room for free and the selection is extensive. Everyone at the front desk was nice and helpful. But the Help needs to read some English! I mean, their own signs are color-coded, with one side red for Maid, Clean the Room and one green for Privacy Please, and there was the extra one I used Masking tape to put above the very lock she had to open! The rooms had everything, frig, microwave, etc. heck, the Best Western I'm in right now doesn't have those. They gave us an $89 rate by phone just 2 days before arriving, which was $50 less than the price quoted on Hotels.com. But don't take room 223! at least if you're gonna be there on Monday morning!

Room Tip: Call on the Phone for reservations 'cause you'll get ripped off doing it on-line.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
ColtonInn, General Manager at Colton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our downtown Monterey inn. We always strive to offer the highest quality service and a quality property with numerous ammenities located in the BEST location. Just a clarification that our online rates booked at COLTONINN.COM are exactly the same online as they are if you speak to one our guest services representatives.

Thanks again.

Dave

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I chose the Colton Inn for the weekend part of my business trip. Availability was very tight, and it seemed like a good value for the downtown area. We did have a good-sized room with a tiny balcony, and appreciated the fridge and microwave included. The room was fairly plain, but we had no problems to speak of. Nothing was new there, but it seemed to be well maintained.

One minus -- the "air freshener" odor was too strong when we first arrived. Pluses: an elevator for my heavy luggage, very professional staff, quiet neighborhood, green space in back, and excellent quality baked goods for breakfast. There is a beautiful deck in back for dining, but no indoor space.

If I'm on a tight budget again next time, I would consider staying here again, even though it's a bit of a hike to the Conference Center.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business