“The grounds are very good...”
Review of Domaine Carneros

Domaine Carneros
Ranked #20 of 209 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: Gaze out at stunning views of rolling hills and vineyards on the horizon as you sip wine from the terrace of this sprawling chateau that can be seen from anywhere in the valley. Please phone to make a reservation.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

I gave them four stars for the grounds as they are beautiful. As for their sparking wines, we weren't really impressed. The customer service was not what it was at the other vineyards we visited either. It was more like the service you would get at a busy cafe.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)
All reviews
in 62 reviews
"crackers"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 5 January 2018

I only had an evening and a morning in Napa, and out of all the wineries available in this region, I chose Domaine Carneros and Chateau Montelena. Carneros canceled my tour the evening before the tour would occur, saying they were under construction. (Montelena was great, go there!) Wouldn't they have known about this construction beforehand? It bothers me that they simply canceled my appointment without any consideration for my travel plans, and without any kind of acknowledgment to the fact that I traveled to Napa to visit 2 wineries, Domaine Carneros being one of them. Because of the extreme late notice, I was not able to book any other decent winery visits for that morning. The good wineries in Napa have to be booked in advance - I foolishly chose Domaine Carneros and I suffered the consequences.
We did stop at Domaine Carneros the same day our tour was canceled, because we had nothing better to do, and they were not very hospitable to guests. It appears this is the down season, and they couldn't care less about the people who show up at this time.
As a side, I am wine geek, and I love Taittinger. I have not had great experiences with Domaine Carneros wine, but I wanted to learn more about them, and I'm still giving their wine the benefit of the doubt. I've had their Tete de Cuvee, Le Reve, several times, and it's never measured up to the price tag. I feel similarly towards the rest of their sparkling wines - drinkable, good but not great, certainly not worth the price they are charging. That was why I wanted to go there and take a tour of the winery - to understand this winery which I have been unable to comprehend.

DomaineCarneros, Marketing Assistant at Domaine Carneros, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

I am sorry to hear of your experience, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are constructing an exciting addition to the Chateau, and at this time we are trying our best to minimize the impact of this construction to our guests. Unfortunately there was unexpected drilling that occurred in the week of your tour. We did not want to compromise the experience of our guests, so we felt it was appropriate to cancel and refund the tour so our guests would not have a less then excellent experience. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you, and hope to be given another opportunity to host you. Should you decide to visit us again, we would like to provide a complimentary tour. Please contact me directly, and I would be happy to assist you with the reservation process. Best, Aubrey. aanzelmo@domainecarneros.com

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We went for a tasting and cheese plate on New Years Day - January 1, 2018. The winery was very popular.

There was both seating inside and on the patio. We booked our reservation in advance and sat by the welcoming fire place.

For our tasting, I chose the Sparking Wine Sampler My husband chose the Grande Tasting which include sparkling wine as well as pinot noir

Each of us enjoyed our wine flights.

We also had sparkling water.

For our food, we had their wonderful sparkling wine cheese plate.

The winery is beautiful.

The winery can be visited by both those tasting, as well as those who want to bring their children. They have some non-alcoholic beverages.

We also watched a bird as it flew in from outside to the inside dining area To us, it seeemed that this bird (or similar birds) were frequent visitors The staff knew how to ask it to go outside again.

All in all this is a wonderful place to go to taste sparkling wine and pinot noir.

Staff is very nice.

1  Thank mini33
Reviewed 1 January 2018

You don't come here for the wine. You come here to check out the castle and the property. The property is lovely - wonderfully managed. The entrance is grand and is a great spot for pictures, as you will see every visitor stopping to take a pic. We had a party of 8, which would have taken over an hour for a table so we ended up splitting up in two groups of 4 so that we could sit right away. Some of us did champagne tasting while we just got a single glass for others. The champagne itself is not the best, so we were trying to limit the amount of money spent.
However, it was a great place to spend an hour or two and people watch. Lots of people come dressed fancy considering the place looks fancy.