“Highly recommended!”

East Meets West Excursions
Ranked #1 of 62 Tours in Newport Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to East Meets East Excursions Captain Nick Newport Beach-Dolphin and Whale Watching Tours / Sunset cruises. Welcome aboard Newport Beach's most advanced whale watching boat. We limit our trips to 6 passenger(s) or less to provide the Personal Attention and Comfort you deserve Private charters also available. Our New boat is extremely quiet, enabling us to stealthily approach and bring you a front row seat to these spectacular mammals without disturbing them. Departing daily at 9:00am 12:00pm 3:00pm 6:00pm Our trips are 2-2.5 hours. Departing from beautiful Balboa Island in Newport Beach, and have close access to the coastal waters of Orange County, a super highway for whales and dolphins year round. Whale Watching & Dolphin Watching View whales and dolphins in their natural migration path offshore Sunset Harbor Cruises Take in the Southern California sunset from our beautiful surroundings Call us or text us anytime. We are at your service :) Testimonials: Jade M. Encino, CA – 09/20/2016 via Yelp We had a great time with Nick! Saw pods and pods of dolphins and 2 hump back whales. We liked the smaller boat feel as it was more intimate (6 people) experience than the larger vessels. Nick gave us the scoop on everything we were seeing and was caring when he saw me turn a bit green (take Dramamine!) while the waves caused a bit of motion sickness. Lol. Definitely recommend his services! Carrie V. Fullerton, CA – 8/13/2016 via Yelp I have never been whale watching, because in all honesty getting on a big boat crowded with people pushing and shoving to get a spot doesn’t peak my interest, so I’ve put off the idea until I came across East Meets West Excursion. A smaller boat that offers a more exclusive tour than all the others, not to mention the speed and comfort this type of boat provides. we went out at 9am and left those big tour boats in the dust as Captain Nick searched for Whales and Dolphins. I was continually amazed at his skills for spotting all this sea life in such a large ocean! He has an eye for spotting life in such a vast ocean- from hundreds of dolphins putting on a show, feeding with birds and sea lions, and the knowledge that those surroundings are where we would spot humpback whales!! I can’t believe what all we saw, truly amazing! I highly recommend this tour, the boats amazingly fast, comfortable smooth ride with a skilled Captain that makes you feel so welcome, with such great knowledge of the sea and the creatures who habitat it! Check em out you won’t be disappointed, my boyfriend and I can wait to get back out!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Our time of the water with Captain Nick was the highlight of our trip to Newport Beach. Nick is a very friendly guy, his boat is very comfortable, and the animals did not let us down! We saw gray whales, common dolphins, bottlenose dolphins and sea lions--such a treat! It was a foggy morning so I was a little nervous that we might not see much, but I'm here to tell you that fog didn't lessen our experience at all. As far as I'm concerned booking a trip with Nick is the ONLY way to go whale watching.

All reviews
"bow wave"
"knew exactly where"
"super pod"
in 2 reviews
"packed in like sardines"

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We had 4 college students visiting for spring break and wanted to do a whale watching trip. I booked this one based on prior reviews and it was fantastic! We only had 1 afternoon available for the trip and Nick kindly accommodated us, despite our last minute phone call. We saw a seal, a pod of dolphins, 4 whales and the ever-present sea lions. Nick was very knowledgeable and provided interesting facts about the whales and their migration patterns. He seems to maintain a courteous and cooperative relationship with other tour providers, staying in communication with them to share information on the location of whales and dolphins, so all tourists have a good viewing experience. Being on a smaller boat also allowed us to see more, and move quickly to areas where whales had been spotted. Being on a smaller boat does allow you a closer viewing experience, specially with the dolphins, but you have to not mind a little ocean spray coming over the bow from time-to-time, and it does get cold, so bring a jacket. We loved this, and thought it added to the experience, but if you loathe getting wet this trip may not be for you. Overall we had a great time and thought it was well worth the money for the personal experience. We would definitely do it again! Thanks Nick!

1  Thank PackRat12
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Had a flight out of Santa Ana, so we decided to catch a whale watching trip before then. So glad we did! Captain Nick was friendly and very knowledgeable and having a smaller boat totally felt like we were immersed. We saw gray whales and were literally surrounded by 50-60 dolphins! They were all around the boat and we could almost touch them. Much happier than we would’ve been on a bigger boat. Would definitely book with East Meets West again!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Family had a wonderful time thanks to the service provided by Captain Nick. When we originally decided to do a whale watching excursion, I wanted to do it on the cheap. There are numerous outfits that will throw you on a boat alongside dozens of other people, but keep in mind that with these, space is at a premium. When we pulled up galleries posted by the other providers and by clients themselves, it was obvious that our 4 year old and 12 year old would be hard pressed to see anything as everyone jockeys for position when sightings occur. With that, my wife won the battle and we agreed to book with Nick.

As we boarded the boat, I was impressed with fact that Nick gave a detailed briefing as well as took the time to listen to the questions and comments that only a 4 year old can come up with.

Our small group of four was given instructions as to what we should do in the event we spotted something before he did. Due to us being seated only 3 feet or so away from him, this would ensure that we had a much better chance of him hearing us compared to most of the other skippers out there.

Only 15 minutes later, we were fortunate enough to witness, due to him spotting it from a notable distance, a mega-pod of over 500 dolphins. He was able to successfully pull alongside the amazing sight. We also located a total of 5 whales a short amount of time later. It is also important to point out that the other skippers in the area seem to use Nick as a compass of sorts as we could hear radio chatter about him saying that it looks like he found things. Yet, the larger boats that carry many people do not go as far out due to time and vessel constraints.

Is Nick a little more costly, you bet. But, you get what you pay for. The sheer delight of my youngest, combined with the joy my wife had, made it worth every penny!