“Little Gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

We just had dinner at this little restaurant around the corner from our hotel. It's a cute little restaurant and it's tucked at the end of the block, a block northeast of Pacific Coast Hwy off 62nd Street. It may be small, but the ambience, staff, and food make it a great place to eat. They have a variety of choices and some creative ideas with their food. For starters, we had the shrimp stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon....delicious! For our entrees, we ordered the shrimp and scallop paella and the Chow burger. I could not finish the paella due to the size of the portion and because I wanted to save room for dessert! They have a wonderful variety to choose from and they're not the usual molten lava-brownie-or cheesecake options you normally see at every other restaurant. They have peach cobbler, choco tacos, and banana bread pudding. However, we opted for the butter cake with pecan sauce and it was the best dessert I've had in years! I would definitely come back to this restaurant the next time I'm in Newport Beach and perhaps try their breakfast menu and get more of that butter cake!

Reviewed 13 June 2017

We came here because of a recommendation from a near-stranger, and what good advice! We've eaten at the Newport Beach location and also the Costa Mesa location. WOW. The restaurant is on the small side, so you may need to wait, especially for breakfast. The kitchen closes down for about 20 minutes between breakfast/lunch, so that may cause a bit of a wait. This time we had lunch, and the Tres Amigos (3 unique/different enchiladas) were on point, as the waiter suggested. He almost got giddy when I ordered them. Pork, chicken, beef, and one with mole that was incredible. Hubby got the Cuban Pork sandwich, and it was great. My brother-in-law had a taster set of rose wines--nice touch! Prices are quite reasonable for what you will get, and if you aren't famished, consider sharing. Portion size is very good.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

I finally had my first fish taco made with mahi mahi. It was delish. My daughter had the shrimp tacos. We shared the cauliflower appetizer which was great too. It's not a huge place but we did get immediate seating. The tables were a bit small and the chairs weren't the most comfortable but I would definitely go back. The service was good. Food came quickly. It was a bit loud in there for a Thursday night but I will not complain. My daughter wanted me to throw that comment in. Enjoy Eat Chow! It was worth it! Service, food, and value were all right where you want it!

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

I had the mussels with frittes ( French fries ) on the side
The sauce that the mussels swim in is unbelievably delicious
I eat mussels whenever I find them on a menu. Eat Chows version beats even the Belgian or Dutch ones I've had

Reviewed 23 March 2017

We were a group of five and were lucky to get the last empty table. The cheesy tator tots are wonderful. The fish tacos were good and I loved the black beans. The fish was cooked a little more than I'm used to, but was spiced very nicely. The fish of the day was also very cooked, but still tasty. Great place.