“Amazing!”

Juliette Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Juliette Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 511 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jamboree
Reviewed 8 September 2015 via mobile

Who would have thought that such an amazing restaurant could be hidden in a boring strip mall. My girlfriends and I went to Juliette this past weekend. The atmosphere is super cool and the restaurant was packed! We shared three small plates and a meat and cheese platter. Everything we ordered was fantastic and the food is so flavorful, that the smaller portions were plenty. We had the faro risotto, the brussel sprouts and the scallops. I would never order any of those items on my own, but I'm so glad that's what we ordered. Juliette also has a great wine selection. I'm definitely coming back!!

There are newer reviews for Juliette Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed 19 June 2015

We came with some friends, and we had a great time. The entrees aren't too big, but that was good thing, because we tried a little bit of everything. They had five desserts on the menu, and there were five of us sitting at the table, so we each had one! I loved the affogato the best.

Reviewed 12 May 2015

Four girls headed here for dinner and to celebrate an "almost" mid-century birthday. We had heard and read that the food here was not to be missed in Orange County but none of us had ever been. It's a little out of the way in a strip mall but appears to be a bit of a hidden gem.

Crafted cocktails were delicious and consistent; over the evening I ordered two of the "Lion's Tail" (Buffalo Trace, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Angostura, Egg White, Nutmeg) and I really appreciated that the second cocktail was every sip as delicious as the first.

The dinner menu is made up of very small plates, 'share plates', and entrees. This allows for more of a family style dining experience that I really enjoy. We started with the brussel sprouts, pork cheeks, and scallops. The scallops were well prepared but nothing to write home about. The brussel sprouts were very tasty and our server was right. the pomegranite gastrique was delightful. The pork cheeks, however, were absolutely terrific; fall-apart deliciousness served with tender greens. I could have had continued eating that dish all night. Each portion was well sized so you really could share the dish with several bites apiece with four people.

For our entrees, two less adventurous souls had the burger which they both said was "good", but not exciting. (And, for me, if I wanted exciting I wouldn't order the burger.) And my friend and I shared the pork shank which was flavorful, moist, fall-off-the-bone, comfort food. Which is ultimately how I would describe the food here, comfort food at its very best.

There were a couple of things we weren't crazy about and mostly it was the setting. While it's well decorated, it's really one big open cafeteria style seating space. Which is to say that it gets really loud. I think it's better suited for a lunch than a dinner and I'll probably only go back for lunch. The service was good, and definitely better than average for OC. While our server said it was her first night, we never would have known, so that means that some good training is going on. The support staff - bussers and food runners - were efficient and worked well as a team. Perhaps because of the family-style feel, the kitchen timing was a little off with some food arriving on its own and others waiting for theirs to come. This didn't particularly bother us, but if I were here for dinner as two couples, for example, it wouldn't go over as well. Another thing that we thought would be great is if they had a happy hour but they don't. There is a bar area where you can sit but, alas, no happy hour. They were packed by 6:30, though, so maybe they just don't need to do it! I definitely recommend reservations and you may want to specify the covered outdoor patio as summer comes on. I was also thinking that it may be quieter out on the patio but I didn't sit there so I can't say for sure. All in all, a great restaurant for every day but not for special occasions. Also, most restaurants will bring out a small token dessert to celebrate a birthday or special occasion and our server said that they don't do anything like that which I found odd.

My take is that Juliette Kitchen strives to ride the current wave of new-American cuisine and they do it quite well with quality ingredients, consistent attention to detail in the kitchen and an unfussy but well trained service crew. That over-the-top attention to detail that gives you exactly what you need before you even think you need it was definitely not there and that makes the service more than good but not excellent. At the end of the evening we concluded that while we all had enjoyed our evening there, we weren't in any rush to return or to tell someone "You must go!".

Reviewed 28 April 2015

I'm from Napa and just enjoyed my third visit to Juliette, my #1 choice when in Newport Beach. Everything on the menu is fantastic, the decor is lovely, and the service is top notch.

Reviewed 29 March 2015

Three of us had a nice late lunch on Friday, arriving at about 1:15 pm. Cauliflower was unusual and delicious (prepared with dried cherries and almonds, with a vinegrette). One companion had the Juliette burger and loved it. A little hard to manage on a wooden plank. She moved it to a plate. The turkey sandwich was huge - my other companion put half in a to go box as soon as she was served. My smoked trout salad was good.

1  Thank Tim K