“Elegant and Delicious” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach

Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 492 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Reef Point
Argyle, Texas
“Elegant and Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great wine selection, and very good menu. Quite pricey, but the food is prepared beautifully, and I definitely did not leave hungry. The atmosphere is perfect for a business dinner, or any type.

• Visited January 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Spectacular setting for an 80th birthday celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

After reading the reviews here, I expected an exorbitantly priced meal with excellent service. What I did not hear about is the exquisite and unique physical space of this restaurant that - at least for this group of out-of-town visitors - took an impeccable meal and BAM kicked it up a notch. We arrived about 30 mins before sunset and were escorted through the restaurant - through several indoor-outdoor spaces, set around a beautiful tree that grows right through the middle of the restaurant. It has the feeling of being at someone's home in Tuscany - someone very very wealthy - but inviting, hospitable, cozy but chic. The space itself has a wonderful energy so that by the time we were seated, our whole party was already abuzz. We were in a bit of a hurry unfortunately so we did not end up ordering much in the way of drinks. As a result, our check - for a party of eight adults - came out to $450. Not bad at all, given what my expectations were from reviews here. Of course, the food and the service were outstanding. The staff brought a beautiful chocolate ganache out with spoons and a huge bowl of whipped cream for all to share in honor of my dad's 80th birthday. The pastry chef had written, "Happy 80th birthday" in chocolate sauce script around the plate. Beautiful touch! Overall, we had a magical experience here. By the time we left, there was a terrific vocalist playing in the lounge and the vibe of the whole place changed once again - this time to a wonderful piazza type of feel - like it might feel on an evening in Capri with folks all feeling good, looking great, enjoying beautiful music and a lovely view. Even though we were late to our next event, we all lingered for a few moments to soak in the wonderful energy. Next time I return to the Newport area, I am unquestionably coming back here and will make an entire evening of it.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank husbus
Pismo Beach, California
“stiff martinis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

good food, but hard to recall as that whole shaker of martini......

San Francisco, California
“Whats to Complain About?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I am a retired Chef and restauranteur.
I have eaten in Mastro's Thousands Oaks and had the best Oysters Rockefeller I have ever had so i thought I would try the Ocean Club while staying in Newport Beach. I tell you for a chain restaurant it is top notch. Its not food or presentation you would get at Spago or any famous Chefs place but it is as perfectly prepared as those places. There is something on the menus for everyone. It is straight forward and you can understand everything on the menu. Seafood, Steaks, Vegis, Potatoes,Salads, Soups all top of the line. The bar area is spectacular and the drinks are good while waiting for your table.
The seafood tower and the lobster cocktail are a must great presentation and ultra fresh seafood. the weakest part of the whole meal was the Caesar salad, it was just ordinary but the people next to me had the Wedge and that looked really good. I had the Seabass Oregananta (lightly breaded) cooked perfect. Again next to me was Salmons and Steaks all looked perfect. Asparagus sauteed in garlic butter cooked perfectly, Scalloped potatoes again nothing wrong there.
I would say this is a place where you could order anything, and the preparation and execution is what it's suppose to be perfect. The Chef and kitchen staffs training is spot on, they know how to cook fish and steaks.
There was a large party in our dinning room about 10 people 9 guys one woman, they were loud. Like someone said: they needed to use their inside voices instead of their outside voices. The atmosphere is very nice, elegant and comfortable. You can dress up or dress down.
I'm a foodie so the waiter ask me how was everything ,I said the food was excellent, he said well what about the service? The service was excellent, attentive and plenty of bus persons whisking away everything and keeping your table clean so the waiter could do his job of serving everything and you personally.
It is EXPENSIVE but worth it. There are Big portions served family style, so some items would feed 4 people like the scalloped potatoes I had.
I would go back to Mastros in a nano second. If you haven't been to the Ocean Club in Newport I recommend you go you wont be disappointed BUT MAKE RESERVATIONS they are always sold out.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank TropicalTommy11
Irvine, California
“Amazing service, delicious food, crowded and pricey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Enjoyed the fantastic food and drink at the bar, including a full rib eye and salmon dinner. Have not had better service than this. Everything was delicious. Was it worth the price? Not always. This location is almost always full, so make a reservation or come during off hours.

Visited July 2011