Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Piccadily Hotel
#31 of 49 hotels in Oakland
0.5 km
View Hotel
All reviewsbart stationjack london squarefront desksan franciscoconvention centerlake merrittconvenience storepublic areaswould stay here againfree internetstreet noisesmall fridgebed was very comfortablebay areaone night stayrooms are niceconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2015

The Courtyard is a great place to stay.
It is a short walk to Jack London Square which is a super cool place to hang out!
It is an even shorter walk to Bart which will take you to any part of San Francisco!
Great rooms, good prices and comfort without the San Fran prices!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2015

The Valet and Front Desk agents are very helpful and always available for any needs or advice on the area. We stay here often because the rooms are newer than the other Marriott in the area and it comes with a Cafe in the lobby. The Cafe downstairs though suffers from okay service with food taking along time with no notice on why and sometimes no one is at the counter during their stated opening times. Other wise, this location has a great lobby to meet friends and family and hang out in because it is very larger with 3 distinct areas to either watch tv and sit, eat at cafe, or lounge on large couches and read. The rooms themselves are large with either parking lot or city views. I would recommend the parking lot/swimming pool view because it is quieter than being on the street side. The streets of downtown Oakland have those chirping walk signals which go off all night - light sleepers may not be able to rest with this background noise.

Overall it is a nice stay and the Bart is only two blocks down the street, China Town bakeries and restaurants are one block away and the rooms are relatively lower priced than competing hotels in same area.

Room Tip: Pool/parking lot side as it does not have the street noise
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 2 March 2015

I was in town for a show at the Paramount Theater, and this was one of a few hotels in the area. It was nice enough for our purposes (which was just to be near the show.) I wouldn't bother staying here if your plans have you in San Francisco. The price difference isn't enough to justify being that far from the action. But if your event is in Oakland, this place works (as long as you don't mind cold showers).

Staff were nice. Facilities were good. It was nice having a coffee joint with some food options in the actual hotel, as opposed to the traditional boring continental stuff. The room was good. Comfortable bed with a nice little sitting area. No view to speak of; just the parking lot.

The bathroom was clean, but getting a hot shower was impossible unless you dig second degree burns or frostbite. I thought maybe it was just the time I showered or something on the first day, but after the third day of cold showers, it makes me think this is an ongoing issue.

The area is okay, but on Saturday night there were a group of young adults hanging out right by the entrance to the hotel, drinking out of small liquor bottles and smoking pot. As a (somewhat) young adult myself who enjoys such activities, it didn't bother me, but I can see older guests, or families being putt off by it. I feel like the staff should have asked them to move down the block a bit. Of course, I only saw one small girl on staff at the time, and if I were her, I wouldn't want to chase a group of guys off either.

Overall an okay experience. I would probably stay here again if my plans brought me to Oakland.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank ExistenceNow
Reviewed 22 January 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights on a recent trip with our family (2 teens). We reserved a room with two queen beds. The room was nicely decorated and had plenty of space for the four of us. It was more than I expected for the price. The bedding was delightful and we all slept great. The hotel staff was friendly and made us feel welcome. We had an issue with a package not being delivered on-time and they took an active interest in assisting us. Beyond that when we requested the down pillows be replaced, they were at our door in a heartbeat - service with a smile. The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants and Jack London Square. Starbucks is located within the same block. This hotel is set up with a nice lobby lounge area that is a bistro for breakfast and dinner. Also they have a room off the lobby with snacks, drinks, and microwave. Getting into San Francisco from the hotel is easy with a quick walk up to the BART station on 12th or catching the Oakland Ferry from Jack London Square.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the parking lot are quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Stevey1612
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and are happy to hear you found our staff comfortable and accommodating! We hope to see you again soon!

Monika Starosky

Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

There once was an old lady who lived in a shoe; at $5,000 a month (for a studio), whattaya gonna do?!!!

New Year's Eve, no woman (long story), I was determined to have a good time, to heck with it. NYE means sloppy drunk and kissing lamp posts---and sleeping it off in a nice, comfy bed as opposed to an equally comfy city Drunk Tank!!!

Anywhere on the planet, a three star, bare bones Hotel rates $85.00 a night TOPS; SAN FRANCISCO a three STAR hotel starts at 389.00 excluding tax & gratuitous 'shakedowns'. So what's a well heeled (or just plain 'Heel' according to what's her name)
revellier to do? OAKTOWN by the Bay!!!

We all have our lot in life, and for some of us, it's to forever live in our big brother's shadow, like Paul McCartney's brother and Steve Job's sister. Well, that's OAKLAND!!!

Nobody lives in Oakland. Why? They all claim they live in San Francisco!!! It's an image thing---the shrinks call it 'City Envy' as opposed to the other kind (Wink)!!! Well, Oakland's self image problem is your gain.

I had a nice, clean, sub $200.00 stay at the Marriotts Courtyard on 12th & Broadway that was 200 blurry paces from the BART subway (or TUBE as you English peoples and/or Dawnton Abbey Freaques are wont to say).

To rub salt in an already gaping financial self wound, I could have stayed at the FairField Inn (Marriott's 'Baltic Avenue' Property for around $100ish a night NYE at the Oakland Airport because BART runs to BOTH SFO & OAK airports!!! I'm a Schmuck, as Netenyiyu (sic) would say, Oy Vey!!!

THREE UP: Location (next to a fifteen minute BART ride to SF Market Street ) Price and a Comfy Room with a buttery soft bed!!!

THREE DOWN: No Microwave in the room; you have to share it. It's shameful enough I was stinking up the hotel with my Merg Boti Tanduri take out---but now, even the Oakland HAZMAT team knew who the culprit was!!!

They have a gym but it's free weights & Treadmills.

Finally, Marriott Corporation has a World Class Espresso bar and cafe that was closed on New Year's Day so that they could be with their families?!!!

Wake them up, get them back here, I need my Caffene injection!!! Tell them it's an emergency---they HAVE to come in!!!

WHY? Their customer's head is throbbing and he/we need our daily 'FIX'. I don't have a family to get New Years Off because I am attracted to two-timing women---Hug me?!!!

Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo