“Best spicy tofu soup”

Pyeong Chang Tofu House
Ranked #101 of 1,342 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Rustic ambiance, friendly service, and knock your socks off tofu soup. The other dishes I’ve tried have just been ok - bibimbap, bulgogi, but you come here for the soup.
Not to be missed.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

It's not exactly a place for cheap eats and it's certainly not for a quiet night out but this is a worthy destination for those who need to fill their stomachs with hearty spicy food, and the picnic bench style tables make it a good destination for groups of friends. The Combo Tofu is clearly the item to order since my partner paid $4.00 less than I did and get more food than she could eat. A bottle of cold Korean sake makes a great accompaniment.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Pyeong Chang Tofu House is in the Temescal area of Oakland. There are several Korean restaurants within a mile of this one. Many feature bbq and grilled meats. As the name would suggest, Pyeong Chang Tofu House features soft tofu soup, soondubu jjigae (with many other spellings used). The first time I visited, I noticed that the clientele was largely Asian, and there were many Korean families eating there. When you looked at what they were eating, one of the many available versions of soondubu jjigae was a common choice. The dolsot bibimbap is another popular choice. I have had both dishes. I like both very much, with a strong preference on the specific type of tofu soup.

At dinner, you will get six or seven different dishes of vegetables, some done with kimchi seasoning, but others with soy and sesame seed oil as flavorings. I like spicy foods, and of the five levels of heat you can ask for on the soup, I like the spicy version. I tried the very spicy once, and although I enjoyed it, it was a bit much even for me. The only version(s) of the tofu soup that I avoid are those with seafood such as calamari in it/them. The soup comes to the table boiling hot, and will continue to boil for several minutes.Ingredients like calamari, shrimp, scallops, etc.,toughen and acquire a very chewy texture. I love seafood, but not in tofu soup. So I think that pork or beef are better choices, and tolerate the cooking cycle better. The soup also comes with rice, and they now leave you the bowl it was cooked in, which still has a rice crust in it, at the table. The crust is one of the best parts of the rice. If you are a paella fan, it is the same pleasure as the rice crust at the bottom of a well-executed paella. My wife tends to like the bibimbop, particularly the warm dolsot version. At Pyeong Chang Tofu House, the dolsot bibimbap comes with a smaller bowl of tofu soup, and so if you want to try both, that is an ideal dish to order. Generally speaking, the dining value is excellent, and service is attentive.

I have been going to this restaurant for several years. During that time it has had some periods where the food was very good, and others where I thought some of the dishes were not as well executed as they could have been, or had been. The last visit, in mid August, was a very good one.

Parking can be a bit challenging, particularly at around 6 PM. The restaurant also fills quickly between 6 PM and 6:30 PM. We arrived just before 6 PM, and it was relatively empty. By 6:30 you were put on a waiting list.

As a final note, if you are coming from the El Cerrito or Albany area, you may wish to consider Gangnam Tofu in El Cerrito. I have eaten there as well, and enjoy their version of the tofu soup very much as well.

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

Came here with a large group and the service was excellent. The Bi Bim Bop was very very good. I would definitely come here again.

Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

The service here is outstanding. I also really like the spicy tofu soup which is the restaurant's signature dish. One thing that I'm slightly disappointed about is that there isn't any non-alcoholic Korean beverage.