“Value method for business in San Francisco”

Oakland Marriott City Center
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 December 2017

I gave this Marriott 4 stars, not because it is a nice hotel (it's OK, just a typical Marriott), but because it is the best hotel option if you have a business in San Francisco.

Hotels inside San Francisco are 20-50% more expensive. Meanwhile, this Marriott in Oakland is on par with most of the hotels inside San Francisco. The BART station is literally right in front of the hotel. The BART ride to downtown SF stations is not very long. So, you get a huge cost savings while only losing about 30-40 minutes in commute time.

To me, that savings is worth it, even though it is business travel. SF is offensively expensive, primarily because the city overlords WANT it to be expensive. You can skip past that nonsense, stay in Oakland, and save yourself or your company some money.

Another upside of this hotel is that there are some pretty good restaurants on the same block, behind the hotel. A downside is that it takes a while to get there from SFO. But, really, it takes a while to get to downtown SF from SFO also.

I say: Do whatever you can to avoid spending money in downtown SF. The place is a rip off. People get shot randomly and the offender gets off. Until they manage the city better, spend your money in Oakland. You can still get done what you need to get done and the inconvenience is very minor. Of course, I don't recommend roaming around on foot in Oakland, but everything you need, including the BART station, is right there.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Dear Chilango M,

We are happy to know that our price value, and our location made our hotel a great place to stay when doing business in the San Francisco area!

Thanks for letting us know our very close proximity to the BART transportation system made travel in the Bay Area very convenient, and we are glad you were very pleased overall with our hotel and your accommodations.

We appreciate your review, and comments, and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

I went to Oakland for a training for work. I am an active duty Officer with the United States Public Health Service, a Uniformed Service. I received a reminder email a week before my stay with incorrect dates. I called as soon as I received the email, and they said they could only offer me the government rate for ONE NIGHT! I tried speaking with the supervisor several times by phone and in person. I was told the supervisor was not in but would get back to me during my week stay. I never heard from the supervisor, only “We are really busy right now.”

The room was NOT clean upon check-in or throughout my week long stay. There was a urine stain on the floor by the toilet, a long black hair in the shower, (I have blond hair), and a black stain on the sheets. ALL remained present throughout the week, even with housekeeping cleaning every day.

I have attempted to contact Marriott directly on several occasions. As an Officer in the United States Public Health Service, I feel the GOVERNMENT RATE SHOULD BE OFFERED EVERYDAY, NOT JUST CERTAIN DAYS. I am an Officer every day, not just certain days of the week.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear mariebastin,

Clearly, you experienced some major missteps while at our hotel, and we apologize for any and all inconveniences you experienced while here with us.

We have taken note of your review, and comments to look into further your billing issues, and also the cleanliness of your room with our Housekeeping Team.

We strive to provide a clean, comfortable stay, providing attentive, friendly service, and apologize that you feel you experienced none of this while here with. We do hope one day we will welcome you back. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

The Oakland Marriott City Center is in a great location downtown Oakland, and was a great hotel. I was only here 1 night, but it was clean and the service was fantastic. The front desk was extremely helpful!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2017

Dear Rob K,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your quick overnight stay with us, and that you found our hotel great!

We are glad that our great location, and extremely helpful service really stood out to you, and that you were very pleased overall!

We appreciate your review, and hope next time we can host you for a longer stay!

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

First rate hotel, fast check-in, fast check-out, great room, good central location in Oakland downtown, next to BART to you to the rest of the bay area.

Good view, heated outdoor swimming pool located on the fourth floor, comfortable bed for a good night's sleep, mini-fridge, but no microwave, internet in room is $10/day extra, breakfast buffet is available for $23, complimentay coffee in the lobby overnight till 6AM. Security personnel checks guests going to the elevators in the evenings.

Immediate area around hotel has a higher incidence of people asking for money, next to old Oakland, close five minutes walk to Oakland Chinatown for some Chinese food dining, fifteen minutes walk to Jack London Square or hop on board a free Broadway shuttle weekdays 7AM to 10PM. Ferry service is available located at 10 Clay Street, is a great way to travel from/to San Francisco. Regal Cinemas on Washington Street in Jack London Square has movies Sundays and Tuesdays for $5. New Parkway Theatre on 24th Street and Telegraph is an alternative movie house worth checking out available food and beer there.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank G L
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Dear G L,

It is great to hear that you found our hotel "first rate," and that you really enjoyed your stay with us!

We are glad to hear that our location worked very well for you to enjoy the area either by shuttle, ferry, train, or walking. Thanks for letting us know how pleased you were with your room accommodations, our heated pool, and the great service you received throughout your stay.

We appreciate your comments and review, and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Went to check in at the hotel after staying there many many times and there was some sort of computer glitch with my reservation. However, on my Marriott app I showed checking in the day I arrived and had checked in online already fora 4p arrival. Their system said I was set to check in several days later, and that was likely the original booking as my travel changes a lot.

I have 1,058 nights at Marriott and, as stated in the title, lifetime Platinum Elite status - you’d think that would register with the hotel. As they were having booking issues I figured they’d workout I offered to go to the gym for an hour, which I did. When returning, the solution was to go to a part of town that is not safe and stay in a non Marriott property there. By the way there was a Courtyard across the street from this Marriott.

I asked to speak with a manager as after an hour and a half ( mostly gym time), I figured I’d been patient enough. The manager took an immediate defensive stance that “someone” had changed my reservation and the hotel was sold out- note while I was at the gym and they were working on my reservation I received three notifications about changes while my phone was on the floor by the door charging -and I took a screen shot of the initial reservation on my app and checking. Not I also received check in reminder the day before . None of that data mattered to the “manager” and so I left and went to the Courtyard who thankfully got me in.

The calling the Platinum Elite number for service, they quickly opened a case and vowed to get to the bottom of it. They could ALSO see my reservation as displayed on my app.

Then they put the same GM on the phone who apologized, said they would look into the discrepancy and could get me in that night if I’d come back, which I didn’t - and won’t - saying they’re sorry for the system glitch. Note earlier sold out, now could squeeze me in

Why the rant you ask? Think how they would treat you if a similar instance happened and you didn’t have2,000,000 lifetime points accumulated with Marriott. While the Lifetime Elite number I had absolutely intervened (they get a 5) _ would the same front desk manager treat you with the lack of respect and basic customer service dignity I received.

Side Note: I was calm and professional fo 95% of the 1.5 hour exchange, the last 5-7 minutes as it became clear I’d get no further, I wasn’t calm. Mad.

This time it’s all about service and basic reasoning when the computer systems don’t match. Thank goodness for photos and. Corporate.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear DallasJeffA,

First, we would like to thank you for being a Lifetime Platinum Marriott Elite Member, and for always choosing Marriott as your hotel when traveling. As a loyal Marriott guest, you have come to have certain expectations, and it is clear by your review that our hotel did not meet them when you arrived and tried to check-in.

We apologize for your experience and will be looking into this matter further to see why there was confusion with your reservation and your check-in.

We realize there are many choices when traveling to the area, and we do hope we will once again welcome you back next time you travel to the area.