“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #3 of 13 Dessert in Orange
Price range: US$16 - US$36
Cuisines: American, European, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Parisian inspired tea salon and cafe serving luncheon, tea fare and desserts. We feature authentic French macarons, imported teas and souvenirs from Paris. A little touch of Paris in Old Towne Orange, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit and I was so happy to find this gem, located in Old Town Orange. My friend and I both decided on cold tea vs. hot, the weather was just too warm. It was delicious...we were offered sugar: cubed, granulated and simple syrup. We shared a tea tray with scones, sandwiches and beautiful small deserts. The front shop has lovely merchandise and the cafe is very well decorated. We parked behind the cafe and walked through an antique store to Glassell. We learned that they host a special Christmas Tea, which you can book in October. Really enjoyed our teatime!

Reviewed 7 June 2017

Paris in a cup is a delightful tea house in the heart of Orange. It's located near the circle of Orange, near many of the antique shops and other unique restaurants in the area. The tea selection is impressive! I ended up ordering the herbal "Fruits of Summer" which contains rooibos, elderberry, black currant, plum and vanilla. The menu is extensive. I ordered the "Isabelle" which comes with scones, a salad, and tea sandwiches. When my salad and sandwich plate arrived, it felt as though I had received a work of art! The edible flowers were a beautiful touch.

Though not the fault of the tea salon, parking is a bit crazy near the Orange Circle. I'd suggest making a reservation, then arriving early in case you need to find parking. There is a small lot behind the café, on the corner of Almond and Orange. Otherwise, you will need to find street parking (beware of "no parking zones") or park in another lot.

There are other reviews which I have read on other sites that chide the salon for the high priced menu. This is a tea salon. I expect to pay a little more for the experience and the ambiance. If I wanted a simple cup of cheap tea, I'd opt for a cup at one of the local coffee/tea houses nearby. Paris in a Cup is a nice TLC treat for yourself!

parisinacup, Owner at Paris in a Cup, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Bonjour! We are honored by your review. We're always thrilled to hear when a guest has enjoyed their visit to our place. Thank you so very much.
It was our pleasure to serve you and are sincerely hoping you will return to "Paris" soon.
A bientot
With gratitude,
Cheryl

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Our experience at Paris In A Cup was so and enjoyable. You are quite literally drinking Paris in a cup, as the extensive menu of tea on offer comes direct from Paris. All teas are available for purchase in the gift store in quaint little Parisian packaging.

Their menu and tea selection are vast. The quality of the food, presentation and service cannot be faulted. Shanda was our server and she was exceptional. She was patient as we chose our tea selection and food choices, and quick to attend and check on us throughout the meal. She also was kind enough to take several pictures of my daughter and I as we were celebrating a birthday, and ensured that I was satisfied with the shot. I greatly appreciated her thoughtfulness.

The ambiance puts you in Paris, from the decor to the music. It's clear they take great care to be true to detail.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here and hope to return!

Reviewed 13 February 2017

I have eaten at Paris in a Cup several times, and when I went in late one time to inquire about a late lunch, the receptionist acted as if it was a rare thing to be able to eat there. No, we could not have lunch there. We had better make reservations. Not a smile. Not a gracious response. Absolutely snooty. I'm sorry the receptionists there believe that they don't have any obligation to be gracious to customers in their interactions with people wishing to patronize the restaurant. A very self-defeating attitude.

Reviewed 4 December 2016

I took my mother to Paris in a Cup to celebrate her 84th birthday. Mom walks with a walker, so I phoned ahead to learn about handicapped parking and entrance. It was a bit awkward, but we wended our way from the handicapped spots in the back parking lot (street-side, not building side), through the parking lot, through the Army & Navy store and into Paris in a Cup. We had reservations and arrived a bit early (maybe 10 minutes). One person took our name and never came back to tell us about seating. We finally got the attention of a second person and were seated. The dining room is beautiful, the bathrooms are not only attractive but also very accommodating to a person with physical disabilities, and the setting was just special.

The first front desk person seemed flummoxed by dealing with a walker and asked to keep it up front, promising to bring it to us when Mom was finished. It felt awkward, but we went with that. (Later, I had to go track them down, get the walker myself, and take it back to Mom as the promised follow-through didn't occur.)

Mom and I thoroughly enjoyed having tea and conversation. We had scones, soup, and sandwiches along with wonderful tea. The options are broad and we enjoyed both of our selections! The waitress was attentive and they even offer to take pictures which was a nice touch to celebrate this milestone for Mom.

When it came time to pay, I put a $50 gift card in the payment folder along with my credit card (the bill came to $52 or so plus tip). The same front desk person who had been awkward throughout came rushing back to our table and said, "don't you have cash. We don't want to put a small amount on a credit card." This was awkward. First, my guest didn't know I was paying with a gift card; second, there was no statement about it. And, third, I planned to pay a tip that would have been a $10 minimum (if there was, in fact, such a requirement). I gently turned to her and said, "with the tip, I'm sure we'll be fine." She was awkward and the approach was simply not the level of finesse I'd expect of a business as gracious as the rest of our experience.

After all of that was taken care of, she still didn't bring back the walker, so I left Mom to go find it and return. For having had such a wonderful experience, we didn't let these misses ruin it for us, but staff need better training on serving those with mobility issues and in discussing bills with guests.

Service would have been a "5" except for the front attendant's many misses (a "1"), thus the "3" rating.

1  Thank SoCal_WorldTraveler7