“Nice place, but apparently not for meetings”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Morro Bay, CA
“Nice place, but apparently not for meetings”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I've stayed here a few times on pleasure trips. Great location, clean and luxurious rooms, nice boutique feel. As others have mentioned it can be a bit noisy when there are functions in the courtyard, but that always dies down at a reasonable hour.

So last week I was planning a board meeting for my company and I thought it would be nice to have it here. The hotel website advertises meeting space and meeting packages. I called and was transferred to the voicemail of the person responsible, and left a message. Twice. I emailed them via their website. Twice. After a couple days I called the front desk and told them about how I had received no responses, and they couldn't help me.

I gave up and ended up booking my meeting at the Four Seasons a few blocks away. I wish I knew what was up. Even a return call saying they were full would have been nice. I'm not sure I want to return even for personal trips - having some level of interest in my business is a big deal to me.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms can be a bit noisy, but always quiet by a reasonable hour. Elevator area can be noi...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LeanCEO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed here for a quick business trip in November 2011. The room was comfortable with traditional styling, and the bathroom was spacious enough with good lighting. My room looked out over the courtyard, which was pretty noisy until the early evening, but was definitely not noisy when I went to bed. The front desk staff was helpful enough, arranging a taxi for me (~$120 taxi ride from SFO), although they seemed reluctant to print my bill for me and preferred to email it to me (which was fine, although they then took the liberty of adding me to their email list so I then had to go and unsubscribe - that annoyed me).

There wasn't a business center, but there's a computer in the lobby where you can print out your boarding pass. I also spent time in a couple of their meeting rooms for a conference I was there for, and the meeting rooms were nice. The breakfast was a good spread (continental breakfast), and so was lunch - although you had to ask for a vegetarian meal as they were serving the dishes to everyone else. Overall it was nice and I wouldn't hesitate in staying here again for business or personal (although would need to compare pricing/reviews with other hotels in the area), but I didn't think it was special.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gail_USA
San Mateo, California, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My Sister got married there from the begining to end, they were so acomodating with every request, the rooms were so beautiful and clean That I took my shoes off.
Fromthe manager to the valet attendant everyone was so nice. my family liked this bell boy from El salvador he has been there for like 20 years. He was helful and corteus, the party was awesome.
I ussually dont ake the time to write reviews but I have some espare time lately.
I hope you guys dont take forever to post this one like the last one I wrote. I hope you are more honest than Yelp

Room Tip: all rooms are great, but my sister and brother in law had the penthouse, awesome garden and everythi...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Luis D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2011

This excellent hotel is located in the heart of Palo Alto. Unsurprisingly, it is very traditional and conservative in appearance both inside and out. Service was excellent. Our room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. The only caution: we asked for a quiet room, and they gave us one facing the interior courtyard, which would have been fine except that a function was occurring in the courtyard that night which was rather noisy. So you may want to ask a few more questions than we did if you are looking for peace and quiet.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Architectandmusician
Washington
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed at the hotel in October 2011 for business. The decor is delicious and I would stay there for vacation or for business in the future without a second thought.

This was a perfect business hotel. The staff was very helpful, and they have two nice little business centers. Before I even got there, I called and asked about restaurants for a Sunday night that were open late nearby, and immediately got an email from the front desk person with suggestions for places on the way from the airport. And the valet went out of his way to find my Blackberry in the garage (thank goodness)!

The housekeeping staff also was really respectful that I was working in the room, and if I told one of them that I didn't want service that day, they did not ask again (unlike some places where the staff would bang on the door all day), but helpfully asked if they could get me anything like new towels.

They really thought of everything in the room--from office supplies inside the desk (and in the business center, too), to two luggage racks in the closet and an umbrella and safe and ironing board. They had lots of good full length mirrors, too, which is helpful when dressing for meetings.

I had a courtyard room, which was huge, with a nice balcony over looking the courtyard. I was a little concerned about noise at night from the Il Fornaio restaurant downstairs, but to my surprise, at precisely 9:30 every evening, it was like someone flipped a switch, and bam-- silence. Very impressive.

The gym had a variety of cardio equipment--treadmill, bike, stair. And some free weights.

The beverage service with coffee and breakfast and happy hour in the lobby was great, too. And a contemporary yet homey ambiance that made me feel like I had been there before even though it was my first visit.

I look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: If you like a view, pick the courtyard. But be aware that you will hear some mild background noise u...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
0.8 km away
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#16 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!