“Great food and location”

La Bodeguita del Medio
Ranked #27 of 362 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Yesterday I've been for the first time to this restaurant, one of the most popular in the Palo Alto area. Despite what has been reported from other reviews, I haven't found the place to be too small or narrow. I was with 3 friends and we got a nice table in the middle of the room - I would advise to book a table if you want to avoid long waitings, especially over the WE. The food was tasty and well cooked, I've ordered some chicken and was delicious. Desserts amazing, but maybe a bit too heavy - was not possible to eat all of them. A bit overpriced, but this is in line with the prices in the bay area.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

I eat here every time I visit Palo Alto! The bar has a great selection of whiskey and bourbon, and a friendly staff. Food is reasonably priced for Palo Alto, and the cigar lounge in the back is always a great place to have a smoke.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I would like to give this restaurant 5 stars, as the food was excellent but there were a few minor issues and one main issue for which I reduced my rating to 4 stars. First the positives:
- The food was excellent. Everyone at our table enjoyed what they ordered.
- The server was nice, friendly and efficient.
- When I asked for a plastic bag to take home leftovers, I was told plastic bags can no longer be provided but they took my box and wrapped it in plastic wrap, which was out of the way helpful.
- The restaurant was comfortable and nicely decorated.

The downsides were the following:
- While the food was fantastic, my daughter's steak was on the cool side, as if it had been sitting out for awhile perhaps waiting for everyone else's dish to be ready, as my dish was steaming hot. Maybe not such a big deal, but for that price, it should have arrived hot.
- My friend had called approx 2 weeks in advance to make a reservation but was told that there is no need for a reservation around 5pm. But when we got there, there were no tables available without reservations! So we sat on the tables by the window, by the bar - which turned out to be just fine.
- The main issue for which I reduced the stars is because we were three separate families and we wanted to have our bill split according to what each family ordered. This has been doable in every single restaurant we've eaten at (hundreds over the last 20 years) and this is the first restaurant where this was not doable.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

3 work friends and I went here planning on dinner and fell in love with the cocktails and small plates/starters. So, they turned into our dinner. The empanadas and fried plantains are the tops

Reviewed 23 April 2017

A group of us met here for a book club meeting. We met in the bar area and the staff gladly pulled together two tables to accommodate us. We mostly ordered from the appetizer and drinks menus.
among the dishes we ordered were the croquetas, shrimp ceviche, pan roasted mussels, marinated olives, empanadas, and the palmitos salad – everyone enjoyed the dishes.
We also tried a rum flight; samples of three rums, sugar cane, molasses, and I forget the third. The samples were very small but tasty and it was fun to try different varieties of rum.
The servers were very good and also took some time to dicuss Cuba and Cuban culture with us which we appreciated.
Overall we had a great dining experience.