“If everything else is sold out or over $400”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I only stay in this property when there are no other better options. I stayed for one night this week and paid $310. This same hotel would be under $100 in many other areas. I only stayed there this week because everything else within driving distance of Palo Alto was over $500 due to a conference in San Francisco that had 170,000 attendees.

Half of the rooms have doors that open directly to the outside. I was raining so I had to walk outside from the lobby to get to my room. I stayed in one of the Cabana rooms on the 2nd floor (in the 250 - 259 range). There is an elevator but is is on the other side of the property, so I chose to walk up the stairs with my bags.

The rooms are ok. TV is on the smallish side, and the HVAC is old, and noise. I ended up turning it off for the night. There is a free Wi-Fi options which is nice for email, but when I signed up for the 9.99 option to be able to stream a movie while I was in the gym, it failed after 10 minutes. The strangest thing is the closet is in the bathroom. You have to go in the bathroom and close the door before you can open the closet door.

But hey, parking is free. Plus, they have a nice gym with plenty of machines, but could have more weight equipment

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi jflowersiv,

Thanks for sharing feedback about your most recent stay. I am sorry to read that our level of service, room and cleanliness was a letdown. This will be shared with the team to address accordingly the issues raised. Rest assured that your comments will serve as an encouragement, as we continuously strive to improve the quality of services offered to our guests.

Once more, thanks for leaving your thoughts and despite some setbacks, I hope you give the us another chance to welcome you back soon. If you need anything else just send us an e-mail at ihgservice@ihg.com.

Ronald R.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto when my husband had meetings with some IT companies in the area.

The room was dismal. One of the drawer handles was broken and hanging. No one even bothered to screw it back nor replace it. There was no safety deposit box too.

Any guest would have appreciated a full length mirror to check one’s self before venturing outside. Instead, there was one tiny round mirror, maybe as big as a platter, hanging high in the wall that I could only see up to my nose. And I am not short.

I was also expecting packages to be delivered to the hotel. I checked with the front desk several times if our package has arrived. They kept on saying “no”, until we showed them the notice that the package was delivered already. They should have a system to keep track of the packages they receive for their guests.

The saving grace for this hotel is their free shuttle service to any place within a 5-mile radius. The driver graciously brought me to the mall and picked me up at the designated time and place. I was also driven to the train station and all I had to do was call the driver about my time of arrival and he was again there to pick me up.

Hotel rates in Palo Alto are very high and I was told that this hotel is fully booked on weekdays. With their revenue, they should be able to afford to make their rooms more pleasant.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Hello Planeside,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you liked our complimentary shuttle service. On the other hand, I am sorry to read about your disappointment with our room condition and level of service received from our staff. I appreciate the feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

I highly recommend this hotel. I have stayed at numerous hotels within the greater SF Bay Area and the Crowne Plaza is, by far, my favorite. The two gentlemen at the front desk are very courteous, patient and accommodating. If there is availability they always upgrade me to my favorite room with a whirlpool in the large private bathroom. The breakfast is fabulous, the pool is huge, the fitness room and sauna are state of the art. I would live here if I could!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2017

I'm writing this review just to warn people who do not like motel-style hotels.

It is very difficult to determine from the photos on their website that the entrance to each room is from an outside walkway. These walkways are paved with pretty but uneven tiles, which make walking loud and suitcases on rollers even louder. Plus the hotel room window opens up to the walkway, so you cannot open the drapes for light, or else the whole world can see into your room.

Also interesting is that we were on the 2nd floor. Took the elevator up, then took a few hallways to get to our room, including stairs from one hall to another. Worked fine for us, but I think that could be a problem for handicapped people or people rolling heavy suitcases.

OK - that out of the way. The room was nice, comfortable, toiletries very nice & fragrant; the coffee maker was not in the bathroom but on a separate shelf in an alcove; nice sized closet. The beds were slightly uncomfortable - or let's say, not as comfortable as the Hampton Inn beds. Our room overlooked the front parking lot, so early in the morning delivery trucks showed up and left their engines running, which woke us up. The front desk staff were helpful, tried to find us another room, but all rooms open up to walkways and/or the pool so we just stayed in the same room.

You have to pay $12 a night to park in the open lot in front of the hotel, but that's probably standard for Palo Alto.

There are lots of other hotels on the same street, and they are not motel-style. I wish I had booked at one of these, but I took the 'cheaper chicken' price on the hotel. Next time we're in Palo Alto, we'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear klafshar,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We regret to hear that our hotel setup, facilities and beds negatively affected your overall satisfaction. Reviews like yours are very valuable as they enable us to target areas we need to improve on. Rest assured your feedback will be forwarded to all concerned departments for evaluation.

Joel A

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Location is good, and the lobby area and facilities are nice. The room was comfortable and clean. There were two problems with my stay

1) The heating/ac system is very noisy...it comes on and turns off very abruptly and wakes you up as it cycles. Turning it off was not an option due to weather. I think they could do better

2) Valet - Do NOT use their valet service. It's not well staffed, and not organized. I had problems with all three of my interactions with valet. They were nice enough to remove the valet charge from my bill. Goo thing, because I waited to turn the car in.....waited to get my car (15 minutes because my ticket was given to the front desk, who sat on it until I complained), and on check out...again, there was no valet and I had to get someone from the front desk to get my car.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Blue44-LV,

Your business is much appreciated and thank you for leaving feedback. I am happy to know that you find our area of sleep quality and location satisfactory. I am sorry to hear that the condition of our heating/ac system and valet service a letdown. Rest assured this matter will be taken up with our team to address it accordingly.

It is our goal to deliver honest service and your comments will be used for future improvements. Thank you for your patronage and we hope we get the pleasure of hosting you on your next visit in the area.

Ronald R.