“a wonderful stay”

Athenaeum
Ranked #83 of 722 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

It was a wonderful moment staying this fantastic club - quite, considerate, with delicious food. You can just walk into the Caltech campus - bringing the memory of being a student there. The surrounding, the buildings are all the same even after so many years. definitely worthy every second of the stay.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

This is the dining club at Cal Tech, and you must be a guest of one of the club members. The food is quite good, and the setting is lovely. It's old-fashioned, and elegant, like an Los Angeles movie set.

Reviewed 7 July 2016

I was there to do a lecture and was therefore treated to three breakfasts and a dinner. The accommodation was fine though one probably had to be a graduate of Caltech to work out the intricacies of the shower controls.
The breakfasts were amazing . The highlight was a banana waffle piled high with strawberries. My diabetes nurse would have a fit, but I'm still here so it was all worth while. The toast which followed it was neatly wrapped in a cloth napkin to keep it warm and happy and was accompanied by a jar of marmalade and one of jam.
The artichoke ravioli I had for dinner deserves a special commendation. This was followed by berries on a bed of exceptional ice cream. The ambience with its panelled walls, newspapers and was that more associated with a London gentleman's club rather than brash California

Reviewed 19 May 2016

We visited Caltech and stayed at the Athenaeum, a historic building where many notable scientists, including Nobel Prize winners, have stayed. The hotel itself is full of antique furniture and grand paintings; my family and I stayed in the Millikan Suite. We watched the sun set from our room's balcony that overlooks the campus. The room was comfortable and very well appointed. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room, and enjoyed the prix fixe menu for dinner. I started with an amuse-bouche of a prosciutto-wrapped fig, followed by lobster bisque, salmon, and creme brulee. My daughter had an excellent steak, while my son had the artichoke ravioli. We also ate breakfast there; while my husband and daughter had eggs, my son had the banana bacon waffle, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I opted for the healthy option of fruit, oatmeal, and homemade granola (delicious). We enjoyed talking walks on campus after our memorable meals! My husband is an alum, so we also enjoyed our personalized guided tour of this beautiful campus with its Spanish-inspired architecture

Reviewed 12 February 2016

I was giving a lecture at CalTech and was quite fortunate to be offered an overnight room at The Athenaeum. It is a museum! Beautiful old building with very interesting artwork and historic pieces. At breakfast, lunch and dinner all at The Athenaeum. All were interesting and very good. I couldn't resist the Banana Bacon Waffle for breakfast having never seen those three words strung together. It is a bacon flavored waffle with bananas on top. It was interesting, but may not be my choice next time I visit. CalTech is a beautiful and fascinating campus. A really special spot.