“Good Service, Subpar Steaks”

Clearman's Steak 'n Stein
Ranked #2 of 135 Restaurants in Pico Rivera
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 90660
Transit: Local Transit stops next door on Whittier Boulevard.
Reviewed 10 July 2018

My husband and I came here for dinner because I remember having a pretty decent meal here back in 1985. Well, although the service was excellent, our meal was lackluster. This is supposed to be a steakhouse and the steaks we were served were overcooked and lacking in quality. I ordered my filet medium rare leaning towards rare but not too bloody, and it looked more like medium well. The taste and texture of the steak was not very good, actually quite ironic because the menu advises against ordering a well done steak. I would have taken a picture of the steak, but it was so darned dark inside. The server places all the fixings you want on your baked potato, which is quite nice, but beware of the chives. I love extra chives on my potato, and these chives looked more like runny, pickled chopped green onions. They did not appeal to me at all - yummy garlic bread though. My husband said the restaurant reminded him of an old, overpriced, Disneyland steakhouse. We will not come back here for steaks.

Reviewed 3 July 2018

It was our 53 wedding anniversary and we have come there every year since our first. The salad is suppose to be endless and it wasn't, potatoes much smaller and hardly any butter was put on. Our steaks were full of fat and gristle. They put us in the side room all by ourselves. So disappointing after all these years.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

I was part of a large group (20), there for a business dinner. They seated us in a nice (if dark) back room, and had two servers work with us, so the service was surprisingly good and prompt, for such a large group. The cheese bread (which everyone raves about) and the appetizers were very good. There was some minor confusion when the main courses were served, but that was worked out, and everyone got the right dish. But... my filet ($44) was really overcooked (and the onion rings were room temperature and soggy). I ordered medium rare, but most of it was medium well to well done. In such a large group, for a business celebratory dinner, I was not going to send it back or make any comment about it. With the overdone parts and the gristle, I ate less than half of the 10 oz. steak. As conversation unfolded around the table, several others said that their steaks (some of which cost $54) were overdone. And, one of our group actually ate little or none of his steak because it was way too rare (I believe they did remove that charge). The servers apologized, and made the best of things... and they really were doing as fine a job as they could, all things considered. But a steakhouse has simply got to cook them right. And they didn't on this occasion.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

The martini’s were great! The bread, fantastic- had to stop myself so I could save room for the steak. The baked potato was so good with all the wonderful toppings. The steak was perfectly cooked. Our server was exceptional- I wish I could remember his name, sorry. I thought it was a little pricy although it was a large portion so maybe split a meal. We had leftovers the next day. The restaurant needs a good cleaning- steam that carpet please.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Recently enjoyed a year end holiday dinner at Steak n Stein. Restaurant was beautifully decorated per the season and was humming with happy diners. Fire pit was blazing making it nice and cozy. Wife and a I split a delicious prime rib cooked to perfection. The many scrumptious sides, great service and perfectly chilled martini made for a wonderful way to say adios to 2017. Thanks Steak n Stein. Happy 2018!