“Well worth the stop”

Ranked #26 of 70 Restaurants in Pinole
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

Ate breakfast here with BF on our way to San Francisco. I had a Denver omelet with hasbrowns and sourdough toast. Can't remember exactly what he had but it included eggs some spicy sausage hashbrowns and toast. Portions are HUGE and this little family run restaurant makes you feel at home. They aren't overly pushy but check on you to refill and make sure you're doing well.
The food is delicious!! Next trip to San Francisco and we are stopping again. Prices are good

Reviewed 16 December 2015 via mobile

We have never been there before, and I don't think we will go back either. My husband and I went there for an early dinner, And mostly because a friend told us to give it a try. I order a hamburger with chorizo--it was eatable, but not good enough for what they charge. My husband, first order a pork chop dinner. No biggy, right? We ask what came with the meal---we were told that (I don't know, no one ever order this). That should have been our sign to leave. Then the waiter came back and told us that they did not have any pork chops, but that they could do it with chicken and mushrooms--ok. The plate consisted of spaghetti pasta (really over cooked pasta), and something like chicken parmigiana. That also came with French fries. I know that it doesn't sound too bad, but trust me it was. The place looked dirty and workers were on her cell, another came to work late looking like he just woke up. I just going to say that this was an experience not be done again.

Reviewed 22 April 2015

While I was not blown away by the burger some of the other offerings were fantastic. The spiral cut deep fried to a marble coloring sweet potato was superb. deep fried peppers looked good. the portions were generous, and some of the other items on the menu may have gotten overlooked. the desserts were heavenly, and I wish low cal too. Nice atmosphere and for the most part friendly staff

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hi gang,
Cruisin' around looking for some vittles, me 'n the Mrs.
stopped in for early dinner. First impression was dis-arrangement. Our table seemed sticky to the touch, so I used some of my water to re-wipe the table. No change. I witnessed the waitress wiping off adjacent tables and the wiping rag looked very unsuitable. It was just the paint job that made it that way. Server was super friendly and attentive. We ordered medium fries which was an entire basket filled with super hot crinkle-cut fries !! Ordered the pulled pork and she had a house burger. Good tasting and hot. The fries were brought out early and thruout the entire meal they didn't lose much temperature. You won't find that at the major fast food joints !! Prices were fair, food tasty and service excellent. The "ambiance" was disturbing to me, I felt the facility could use a good cleaning and some fresh paint. It basically looked tired and run down. The floor is a brown colored tile that wasn't that clean nor could it ever look clean.
I didn't get a real good "vibe" from my visit. I would think that getting food to go would be best. The selections range from pasta to pizza and back to burgers. Pizza?? Pasta ?? For a long established eating place I should think there'd be more charm than the nostalgic memorabilia on the walls, which was the saving grace to an otherwise drab dining area. They have many great hot sauces to choose from, I liked that effort.
The Original Red Onion is definitely worth a visit, a well-varied menu will suit the most undecided palates to a good meal.
Rich

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Red Onion is famous to old timers who grew up in the bay area in the 60s. For what they offer now it seems they haven't kept up. While I was not happy with the 5 Guys in Pinole, I'd rate it better than the Original Red Onion and it seems to me Red Onion has not carefully checked out the quality of their neighboring competition - Nations, In and Out Burger, and 5 Guys. Sorry, but there's too many great places for hamburgers in the bay area that leave this restaurant in the dust.

Been to The Original Red Onion? Share your experiences!