“Worth a visit”

El Dorado County Museum
Ranked #9 of 52 things to do in Placerville
More attraction details
Owner description: This history museum of this Gold Rush community displays old mining tools and railroad equipment.
Reviewed 1 February 2017

We were visiting Placerville and made a stop. It is January but weather was mild. Not crowded but exhibits were cold. Fun to read about the Gold Rush and associated history. The Ranger put a 10 minute film on for us - informative. The Blacksmith shop was open and men were talkative with lots of interaction.

1  Thank PamelaEK

Reviewed 13 December 2016

As we both lived in Placerville ca,we decided at long last to visit. A very interesting day and very informative. It is best to go on a cooler day though.

1  Thank James W
Reviewed 11 October 2016

My wife and I recently visited the El Dorado County Museum in Placerville, CA. We found it be a little treasure as it included a number of historical pictures and artifacts from the town and surrounding area. The staff was extremely friendly and answered all of our questions. The museum is easily found as it is on the "main drag" in Placerville. I would recommend the museum to anyone visiting this town.

1  Thank irawine
Reviewed 25 September 2016

If you're looking to spend an hour or so looking at artifacts from old California this is the place. No admission charge. The docents are full of information about the history of the locomotives, Studebakers, gold and vintage clothing & doll houses on display. I found it very interesting, and one member of our party truly loved the place.
The research room was open - they will help you find things at no cost. I was researching an historical photo of a miner and a man in the research facility located it within minutes in a shoebox. I ordered on a CD ($12 cost) and was able to leave with a TIFF image during my visit.

2  Thank Allison K