“Delicious Burmese food in light, modern surroundings”

Burma Experience Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Burma Experience Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 302 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Reviewed 10 October 2018

Burmese food is a bit Thai, a bit Indian, a bit Chinese, and the wait staff was ready to explain the menu and make suggestions. We started with three appetizers that intrigued us. The samusas were like Indian samosas but with a thin wrapper, like an egg roll wrapper, and were small, light, not too spicy. Platha is a thin bread folded and griddled, tasty on its own but with the coconut chicken curry dip was really, really nice. The fried chicken that isn't the wings are small, crispy pieces of breaded chicken with a slightly sour and spicy sauce. For our entrees we got pumpkin pork stew with pork so tender it was ready to fall apart, garlic and chili shrimp (I didn't have any, but my friends really liked it), and basmati rice which was like a biryani with curry powder and raisins. (If you want plain rice, it's probably best to get the jasmine rice.) We thought we'd have leftovers but all the dishes were so delicious we ate everything. The decor from the art on the walls to the cushions on the banquette seating shows a nice attention to detail, creating a light, comfortable atmosphere.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

If you read any of my restaurant reviews, you will know I am pretty finicky about the quality of the food and the service. I’m not afraid to give a blunt review; but this time I’m going to gush.

The service was impeccable and the food was so good I wanted to return for lunch the next day.

Unlike similar restaurants they didn’t try to bury the meal in curry. It was delicate and delicious. The tea leaf salad was worth fighting good friends for the last morsels, the curry pork was fork tender in a sauce that made the nutty brown rice worth a trip all by itself. The salmon and vegetables is making me drool as I write this.

I could write more but I think I’ll make a reservation instead. BTW the entrance is around the corner on Division.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This was our first time in this restaurant. When we walked in, it did not look grate. so, we were skeptical. We ordered E.B. Style Tea Leaf Salad, Samusas, Curry Eggplants and Fried String Beans.
I must say, the salad was so good, I wanted to order it again and just eat that as my dinner. Oh, I forgot Samusas Soup. This item was just as grate as the salad. If you go, you must order these two items. Rest of the food was good. We liked it. Normally I do not like Curry Eggplants. But, I liked it at this place. it was properly done. As for service, I can not complain at all as the staff was grate even though we reached there before closing time.
Now comes the bad part. We always take our wine bottle. This place charged us $20.00 as corking fee. I believe that is rather too much for this restaurant. They do not have that grate a choice in wine.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Four of us had lunch there. We ordered a tea leaf salad to share and then four lunch specials: fish, lamb, chicken and a vegetarian. They came with a samuusa and rice. We ordered four different rice: basmati, brown, Burmese fried rice and coconut rice.
Most Asian meals are eaten with multiple small dishes. A bite of this, then a bite of that, then a bite of something else. Well, doesn’t work with the lunch specials if you just have one monolithic item!
My mango chicken tasted funny. Liked the mango slices in it. The coconut rice was very sweet and I landed up eating that as my meal and dessert.
Summary : excellent service, tea leaf salad was great. Rest was ok. Will try it one more time with family style ordering.

1  Thank SKG109
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant for lunch on a weekend and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food, ambience, and service.

Food was very good and service was excellent.

Parking was about challenge but we were able to find one within 5 min walking distance.

Definitely worth a visit.