“Black Bear”

Black Bear Diner - Pleasanton
Ranked #10 of 277 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

The Black Bear Restaurant has a nice family feel atmosphere. The service is very pleasant. The menu has a variety of meals to choose from. The prices are reasonable. The pies and other sweets are tasty. The dinners are good. The breakfast food is ok.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

If you have a big appetite this is a great place to go. The service is usually pretty good and if you like fresh squeezed orange juice they have it.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I'll preface this review by saying that we eat at our local Black Bear on a weekly basis. We have tried Black Bear diners in 3 different states and have only had poor experiences in 2 locations. Unfortunately, the Pleasanton location was one of those 2.
The greeting was friendly and we were told the wait would be approximately 20 minutes.
We were seated within the 20 minutes and given a table in the back room.
At other Black Bear diners, the person that seats you takes your drink order. Not so at this location. As we are very familiar with the menu, when our server came for the drink orders we let him know we were ready to order. His response was "I'll be back". A different person brought our drinks but was unable to take our order. When our server returned we were able to order.
25 minutes later our order arrived. I understand that sometimes the kitchen gets backed up but our order was just pancakes and eggs. Usually, the pancakes are soft and fluffy and easily cut with a fork. The top pancake was very hard. The pancake underneath was not so it appeared as though our order had sat under a heat lamp for some time. By the time our server checked on us we were running into a time crunch so I didn't want to wait another 25 minutes for a replacement pancake. We saw our waiter a few times while waiting for our meal but not again until I asked for our check. Fortunately we were able to get a drink refill from a passing busser.
Had we not been pressed for time (after our 45 minutes from the time we arrived) I would have asked for an explanation (or a manager).
Will not be visiting this Black Bear again, especially as there is one just up the road in Danville if we are back in the area.

1  Thank CLo976
Reviewed 17 August 2017

The service was friendly and prompt for a family of 6. The food was excellent diner food and prepared well. The desserts were outstanding. All-in-all a real find.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

If I am ever super hungry in the morning I may come here again. Otherwise I'll probably pass.

The food is okay quality-wise. The portions are pretty good considering the price. I'd say to plan $10-$15 per person.

The service is alright. Servers are stressed because the restaurant is always packed. Expect to wait to be seated.