“A Little Bit of San Sebastian on the Redondo Pier”
Review of A Basq Kitchen

A Basq Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
A Basq Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 300 Restaurants in Redondo Beach
Description: Casual pintxos and tapas with oceanfront view, Los Angeles' ONLY Basque restaurant serving paella every Thursday.
Reviewed 14 August 2017

It is exciting to see eclectic places like this open on the Redondo Pier. We just about ordered every dish on the menu. The ceviche, mussels, squid and oysters were fresh and creatively prepared with Basq touches like espelette and spicy sausage. I read that the owner of this restaurant is the head chef at Terranea Resorts. We ate at Mar'sel the week before and decided to give this place a try. At a fraction of the price of our Terranea dinner, our mostly seafood dinner here was equally impressive. Like Mar'sel, this place has a killer view. From our seats, we watched the sunset over the pier. And we did not have to gussy up - no suits here, just beach casual attire. The staff was entertaining (Belen is a charmer) and efficient even though a large party was going on simultaneously. We will be back to try its paella on some Thursday.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

General:
This place is in a great and bad location......stay with me. Its bad because it seems many people bypass this area of the Redondo Beach pier and this place is sort of hidden in a way. Its great because its a very locals kind of place with a good view. The two best restaurants there are actually off the main pier area, they are R-10 and A Basq Kitchen. Of the two, A Basq Kitchen is easily the best. So get off the triangle part of the pier and walk along the boardwalk.

Atmosphere:

When you walk by it seems small and perhaps like you cant get a table, but it is a long community eating kind of place. There are several long tables and an "L" shaped row of tables along the wall. I found the staff to be friendly and the locals even friendlier. You can have a conversation with your group but the other patrons seemed willing and eager to talk if you wanted. We got many good recommendations and tips on things to do in Redondo Beach and L.A. The walls are colorful and filled with a cool mural that is 3 dimensional. If you stand at the entrance the support poles align with the walls to form a picture. The waitress can be a bit slow, but she was friendly. The woman who owns the place was extremely welcoming and checked on us a few times.

Food:
At first I thought the menu was small, but the locals and waitress all told me there are several things off menu as well. They had vegetarian options, soups, oysters, breads, tapas, and even a burger. The waitress also told me they do a paella one day a week and a brunch on weekends. We ordered a potato dish with Basq cheese and a garlic aioli, jamon wrapped dates, tapas sampler, bacalao croquettes, Basq veggie stew, beef cheek stew, cashew mushroom soup, and Basq shrimp on toast. The food was truly inventive and far beyond what one might expect in terms of adventure and originality. Not everything was to my taste but it was all perfectly prepared everyone in my group loved something. There wasn't a single dish that someone in our group didnt like and we were mopping the plates. My favorite was the cashew mushroom soup (amazing), the potatoes, beef cheek stew, and the Basq shrimp. I also hate to say it, but the burger was great. I dont order burgers usually but this was was beyond the basic burger. I feel silly eating a burger in a cool place like this but this one was worthwhile (topped with the basq veggie stew).

Price: Tapas and main dishes ranged from $6-12. Beer and wine started at about $6 although they were running a happy hour special which was cheaper (I only paid attention to food prices).

Overall: This place is a gem and the best place we ate at in the are, and one of the top places we ate at in L.A.

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Nothing more to say than EAT HERE
This is a great casual placed to eat
We will come here again
Friendly service and excellent food
You cannot go wrong
Absolutely fabulous

Reviewed 13 October 2016

Stopped in for a drink and appetizer while walking on the pier. Service was friendly and helpful with the menu. We ordered the cheese and sausage plate and the cerviche. both we fabulous!

Reviewed 15 September 2016

It was Basque food. We had spicy olives, dates wrapped in bacon, lamb paella, and for dessert we had a chocolate mousse and flan. Everything was great.

1  Thank Simon J

Been to A Basq Kitchen? Share your experiences!