“Punjabi food = northern Indian /Pakastani”
Review of Shan

Shan
Ranked #502 of 2,490 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

The place advertises itself as northern Indian / Pakistani. Well, I happened to be eating lunch with a Northern Indian and Pakistani friend and they explained to me that this place is actually Punjabi.

Great. Now we all know the truth.

So how good is the place?

Good enough for me to want to come back again for lunch and maybe an occasional take out.

It's small. Gets crowded at lunch time and is a bit underwhelming from a decor perspective.

The food is flavorful. Good spice and lots of choices....maybe too many.

I had the mutton curry which was good...maybe a tad oily for my taste but my Pakistani friend insisted it was better than many similar places.

You would think you get rice with the curry but apparently it's a la carte. So is the Nan. I ordered the rice and was happy to see that it was actually a pretty large portion and quite flavorful on its own...not just plain white rice.

The curry and rice dish can easily feed two and it ran me about $12.

I also had a ground lamb roll thing. Grilled. It was very tasty and for 3.99 a good value.

As I said, there are a lot of choices so many more things to try which I'm definitely anxious to do.

On the downside the atmosphere is a bit bland and I was a bit surprised that they didn't have lamb kabobs...seems like place that mostly sells lamb would have lamb kabobs for a busy workday lunch.

Nevertheless, I recommend it for a quick bite of tasty, Mildly spicy Punjabi food.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 7 June 2017

This is a great place for an Indian lunch. Food was close to authentic, and importantly, it arrived fast even though the place was crowded. A great place to have a quick lunch.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Shan is a neighborhood Indian take out place. The food is always fresh and tastes pretty good. Very casual restaurant, tables are practically cafeteria style. Employees are friendly. Prices are very reasonable. Will return.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank mous
Reviewed 7 February 2017

I am still learning how to appreciate food from various regions of India and Pakistan so it was with interest I had lunch at Shan.

The restaurant is a no frills restaurant where you order and pickup your food at the counter. The menu is full of interesting dishes done in different cooking styles and on this particular day goat was available (maybe next time).

I had the chicken kabab which was disappointing since the chicken had been minced and combined with some breading, spices and cooked. The flavor of chicken was noticeable but the pieces of chicken I was expecting were missing...

The chicken jalfrazi (or jalfrezi) was rich in curry flavor, complex in its spices and succulent with an abundance of chicken. It was the best part of the meal, however, I found the amount of ghee overwhelming to the point it diminished the meal.

I found the basmati rice flavorful and it helped soak up the ghee in the chicken jalfrazi.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 21 January 2017

The only plus is that they are open until late in the night. Otherwise, mediocre food and terrible service.

Date of visit: November 2016

Been to Shan? Share your experiences!