“loved the hotel, very disappointed with service”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“loved the hotel, very disappointed with service”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

After staying for one night at Hotel Valencia, I was planning on giving it 5 stars. Clean, well decorated, very hip hotel. Great location- loved santana row with great shopping and nice restaurants. Pool was very nice. Breakfast was excellent. I realized later that day I had forgotten my telephone charger in the room. I called and they said they would look into it and call me back. They called me back a few hours later and said they found it. In the meantime, I realized I left my earrings on the night table as well. I asked them to see if they found any earrings. I waited until I returned home to see if my earrings were mailed back with my charger. I wasn't too surprised when they weren't in the package, but more disappointed she never bothered to call me back. I called again and asked them to look into it. The employee again took my number and said she would call me back. I received no phone call. I waited a few more days, and called back and this time, I said I would stay on hold, while she called down to housekeeping. She came back 20 minutes later and said they never found them. I asked her to confront the person who cleaned my room, because I am 100 percent positive I left them on the night table and I wanted a phone call back. I never received any call back. It was my fault I left them there so I'm not so mad about not getting my favorite earrings back, but I am so disappointed how the handled the situated. I believe I spoke to Colleen 2 out of the 3 times I called.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank ike2012016
HotelValencia, Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
ike1201, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am concerned you are unhappy regarding interactions and service with our staff with regards to some lost and found items. I have located some internal records with contact information that match the comments written here. I will contact you directly.

Brent Gaines,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
ORANGE COUNTY
Reviewed 21 February 2012

When in San Jose this is always my hotel of choice. The Valencia is chic with its great decor through and through. The lounge/bar has great drinks and draws quite the crowd. I'll definitely be back. I've stayed at 2 (San Jose and San Antonio) or the 3 Valencia Hotels, and both offer the boutique feel that I absolutely adore.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MCPELAYO
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was our second time here. Everything was almost perfect. Great location for a couple wanting a"european" hotel in San Jose. We had booked the romantic package which included a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The delivery of those items was so delayed, that we had to call the desk several times. And in the morning we got our breakfast late too, logistics need help. The breakfast wasn't much.....juice,coffee,and a roll.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights. We loved the big rooms; the amenities were welcomed including free internet, good brand of toiletries, easy to adjust thermostat. Our room was quiet and clean; it was on the courtyard side of the hotel and I would request a similar location in the future as my cousin found that his room, above the Irish pub, was pretty noisy throughout the evening. The pool is lovely, heated in the winter, and the courtyard area had comfortable seats as did the lobby so it was a pleasant place to visit with other relatives who were in town. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful; the bell staff actually retrieved my iPod from my car for me when my daughter left it on the front seat. A broken hair dryer in the room was also replaced promptly. It is a bit pricey for San Jose on the weekends, the weekday rates are much more reasonable. The breakfast is included and the food was very good for buffet style.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the courtyard. The area is very busy with lots of folks visiting the adjacent bar...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We arrived Friday night. We drove up to the hotel and there was young ppl surrounding the entrance, like at a club. That's because there was a popular, trendy bar in the hotel. The last thing I want after a long day of traveling is to have to fight through a crowd of youngsters to get into the hotel. Then there's drunk people in the elevator up to the lobby, surrounding the lobby and elevator up to the rooms. And I'm only 33! Fortunately, you can't really hear the music/noise once you're in your room. Unfortunately, you can hear ppl outside walking around the hallway. Since we stayed two nights, I had to deal with this both nights. On top of that, the front desk messed up our bill twice. First, they charged us more than the online rate we booked when we first arrived. Then when we checked out they tried to charge us for the suite they upgraded us to when we checked in. And they charged us $24 for having valet hold our car for an hour.

On the plus side, the hotel itself is extremely nice. Contemporary decor, nice design throughout. The outdoor courtyard is beautiful, though we did not get to take advantage. It's also in the heart of Santana Row, so you can take advantage of all the shopping. A quick walk to Valley Fair too. Right in front of a Pinkberry as well. Another big plus was the free garage parking, though it's free to the public. Most hotels we've stayed at in CA have charged us a highly daily rate for parking. Still, I don't think I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're worried about the noise, ask for a room away from the bar and noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple