“Dirty and sneaky”

Caravelle Inn & Suites
Ranked #67 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We booked in advance and gave a credit card to hold our reservation. When we arrived at 7:00pm we were told that our room was canceled because they had tried to run our card through at 6pm that night and it was declined each time (impossible, and they could not prove they had even tried). So, after talking to the front desk girl and getting a flimsy, unapologetic explanation as to why we could not have our room she said that we could have another room but it would cost more. Apparently, though not printed anywhere, if they are booked and you don't check-in by 6pm they run your card - if the card is declined they cancel your room. Finally she gave us a room with two doubles instead of a king, which was fine. From the outside the hotel looks ok. It is near a VTA line and restaurants. Inside is a whole other story. Only one light in the room worked. The shower/tub didn't look like it had been cleaned in a while and there was very obvious mold everywhere in the bathroom. (see pics.) The beds were comfortable, but the next morning when we went to take a shower the light only flickered in the bathroom and we were not about to deal with the impossible front desk again, so we had our breakfast in the lobby that was included in the cost of the room and left. It was disgusting. On a good note, after telling the front desk person about the bathroom light and overall cleanliness of the bathroom she had the manager call us back and he gave us a $10 credit. That was nice, and not something we really thought they would follow up on.
One star is for the comfortable bed, convenience to VTA line, and credit on room for unusable bathroom.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank milosmomma

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Me & my husband reached this hotel around 6.30pm. The staff really rude & unfriendly. The room was dark with very old furniture, hard bed and a box tv (instead of flat screen shown on Hotels.com website). Besides this, we saw couple of weird people hanging around who didn't seem to be the guests staying there. When I mentioned this to the receptionist, she was so rude and wasn't even ready to give us another room on the front side of building. Funny thing is she told me there illegal activities going around one block further but this hotel is ok to stay!! How can those strange people not walk and hang at this hotel - which front side is alright, but the back building is so dark n gloomy!!! We left from that place within 30mins and without any refund!
I would only advise people to pay couple of more bucks and stay somewhere safe.....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travaller30
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We arrived at this Hotel around 6 pm. The staff was unfriendly the room was dark the furniture was chipped and discoloded the room was dirty. The room was missing the coffee pot, towels and wash cloths it took them 45 minutes to bring us these items. We did not have breakfast there but I noticeded a sign on the breakfast area that no coffee or food could be removed from the area otherwise there would be a $10.00 charge person. The room was so creepy that we left at 11 pm. It has been the worse room we have ever stayed at!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rosie R
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed here with our family. Nice staff, very polite. The rooms were ok, but could be a little more updated. Fridge worked ok also the microwave. Breakfast is not what European expect. Bread is more bakery, nice with a cup of coffee at 10 o'clock but not at 8:30! Also no tea-bags, we bought them ourselves... The rooms are also not sounfproof and some neighbours seem to live at night! But overall we had a nice time here.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kennedysgoes
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I flew into San Jose Airport late in the evening and was looking for a place to flop, planning to get up early the next morning to rent a car and be on my way. I saw on their listing that they did have a shuttle which was great because I didn't want to pay for a car that evening just to drive to the hotel. When I arrived at the airport, I called the hotel and was informed "no shuttle...take a taxi...it's close." So I took a taxi. Taxis at SJ airport apparently start with $15 on the meter for the first three miles (I wanted to clarify this with the driver and specifically if the hotel was within 3 miles and the driver starts getting defensive and arguing with me about the policy. I just wanted to know the distance to the hotel). Luckily, the hotel was within three miles so the meter did not run past $15. Get to the hotel and ask for a quiet room. I asked about the shuttle and was informed there was "no shuttle." The place is structured like a Best Western, but the room was fairly large and it had a microwave and refrigerator in it. Furniture matched, but was old and a lamp did not work. Wifi was very weak and couldn't find an available socket to plug in my computer (all sockets were used up...some with extensions...fire hazard?). Room was fairly clean but needed renovation and smelled like a hospital, so I keep the air conditioner running all evening. Seems like the room was quiet, but the I had the white noise from the air conditioner running. I noticed my room was in the inside of the hotel, but one side faced the light rails and another faced an active construction site. I got up early, skipped the breakfast and checked out. I asked the clerk if they had a shuttle to the airport. She said "yes" there is a paid shuttle to the airport but that it was not running that day. she would be happy to call me a cab for which I could pay with a voucher purchased from the hotel for $13. I did this. So with tip and all, I spent an additional $30 on transportation to and from the hotel, which I could have put toward a nice hotel with free shuttle. Felt nickel and dimed all the way. Hotel shuttle policy is at best unclear and confusing, and at worse purposely deceptive. Beware!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet and odor free room, may have to run the fan or air conditioner all evening.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business