“Salzburg Revisited”
Review of Cafe Mozart

Cafe Mozart
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mozart is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: European, Central European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2016

Valhalla fulfilled! Due to business, a trip to California was required. This opportunity provided the ability to again dine at Café Mozart in San Juan Capistrano after a 3.5 year absence. On entering the courtyard, Carla saw my daughter and myself and, after a “triple take,” we had a joyful reunion. Her husband and co-owner, Hans, then came out to greet us. We had been anticipating the visit for a long time and were happily reintroduced to authentic German/Austrian fare, each bite savored. Our Wait Staff was a young man named Morgan. He is the heart and soul of the dining areas and simply outstanding in his interface with customers. With a promise to return, we then journeyed on to San Diego. The following afternoon, we spent three hours just “catching up” and having dinner. Although any meal selected is of outstanding quality, we harkened back to our ten years stationed in Germany and had Wiener Schnitzel. My comment was, “It is so light it could float above the plate.” The red cabbage and potatoes accompanying were delicious. For dessert, I chose Han’s Apfelstrudel and my daughter, Carla’s gluten free chocolate cake. As I said in my comments over three years ago, Hans is a Master Chef and Carla a Master at pleasing your palate with her famous desserts. If you are anywhere near San Juan Capistrano, then dining at Café Mozart is a must! Simply a jewel, Café Mozart is reminiscent of Old World dining. Well worth a visit and your patronage.

3  Thank William B

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Tough to find location the first visit but worth the effort. Inside and outside dining - a pretty big place that never seems to be very busy. We've been 10 times in the last 4 months and have had great food and service every time. The soups are great, salads are fresh, entrees always come out hot and perfect. One of my favorites is the crab cake and filet combo with scalloped potatoes. All the German plates are delicious and my wife usually gets the fish special...especially if it is halibut. Nice wine list and corkage is $20. Deserts are decadent....BREAD PUDDING!!

2  Thank booper46
CafeMozart, Owner at Cafe Mozart, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2016

Thank you for your kind review!
We're happy to hear you're regulars!

Reviewed 20 August 2016

I and my guest were delightfully amazed at the excellent taste of the food and the fast and courteous service. The atmosphere was beautiful and the price of the food was extremely good. A great place to eat and/or visit!

2  Thank kmaltby

Thank you!

Reviewed 23 June 2016

The day was a scorcher, but it was our 41st anniversary so we wanted to go out to lunch to have a private celebration. It has been 20 years since we went to Cafe Mozart, so we decided to give it another try. There was no one else in the restaurant and we opted to sit in the shade on the back patio. It was lovely and quiet. We could actually carry on a conversation and there was no peripheral drama to spoil our date. I am not sure how a business can survive with only one set of customers, but for me it was a treat to have a special quiet time. Our waiter was attentive and polite. I ordered the Saurbraten, which is a roast beef with a tangy German sauce, Spaetzel and Pickled Beets; my husband had a wurst combo with scalloped potatoes and pickled beets. Our meals were very tasty. I also had the freshly made lemonade and my husband had a currant soda. There is a $10 minimum per person, but I think that's pretty reasonable. After all, it's not a trip to Del Taco. We enjoyed our meal and for sure plan to return sooner than 20 years this time.

2  Thank 61aprilh
Reviewed 11 June 2016

We have eaten at Café Mozart regularly over the past 20 years and it has never failed to please. The food is European, tending toward lighter German fare, like Wiener Schnitzel, which is perfectly prepare to that the crust is not greasy, but also features fresh fish, escargot, and best of all amazing desserts prepared by their resident pastry chef. Lunches are equally good and especially nice on fine, sunny days as you can eat out on the patio next to the fountain. They are closed on Sunday evening, Mondays and occasionally on a weeknight, so call ahead. Located about 2 blocks south of the mission.

2  Thank Melody B