“Nice, but...”

Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 17 October 2017

First I wanted to give only 1 start, but then I remembered how people are nice at the Front Desk and Housekeeping.
I love Residence Inn, rooms are big and nice. In this one, you can tell almost everything is very old. I mentioned this to Front Desk and one nice lady told me that they are waiting for renovations at the end of the year. Which means that they know that they have an issue and they are working on it, so I am not taking any points for that...
If I was writing this at evening, after lovely Happy Hour (great desserts and vine options) I would give them 5*.
BUT...
Breakfast attendant made me so uncomfortable that I took the food and decided to finish mine breakfast in a room. He walked by me 2,3 times saying how tips are very appreciated and that's the way we can thank him for cooking for us. WHAT?! Wait...WHAT?! Since when someone needs to tell people to give tips? Is that some new rule?? I never stayed in any hotel where someone made me so uncomfortable. I always leave the tips when I feel that they are well deserved, but this made me so mad that I just waited to come home to write this review.
On my shock, I just read a similar review posted a month ago where one lady complained about the same issue. Does this means that Managers read this and they think this is perfectly fine?? I just want the answer on this. If they think that is how Marriott employee should behave then they will not see me ever again.
Long review, I know. But when I think of this guy I get very mad and uncomfortable and I had to share it.
To end the review on a nice note- if this guy is not there, I would enjoy my stay and I would come back.

Room Tip: If available, get the room that is facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank worldtraveler0012017

Reviewed 3 September 2017

This hotel has definitely slowly deteriorated since it's opening.
We stayed for one week early August, which was our third yearly visit, but we will not return.
As always the noise from the road is constant, i know this is unavoidable due to the property location, but it's made worse by the fact a Harley Davidson shop is around the corner, so very loud bikes are always around.
We had constant problems with the room keys, which were not working for access to anywhere within the building!
The daily housekeeping is very poor, i don't think the bathroom floor was even swept.
Breakfast food quality is also poor - the worst scrambled eggs ever - think they are baked in the oven! The food is not replenished enough (it would appear this hotel is trying to cut back!) no matter what time we went fro breakfast, almost every option was gone & not replenished unless someone brought it to the attention of staff.
One particular breakfast attendant made several hints for tips & several remarks about getting the food before it's gone - counting down the time until breakfast was finished. Highly unprofessional.
A shame a nice hotel has gone down hill so much.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Yorksgina
Cathy L, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Yorksgina.

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Your observations and feedback allow us an opportunity to reflect on what we can do to better the experience for our guests. I apologize that we did not live up to yours - or certainly our own expectations.

We look forward to celebrating enhancements in the future; starting with our renovations in December. If your travels were to bring you back to San Marcos- we would be delighted to host you again.

Cathy

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Off the beaten path and was looking forward to staying here. Always choose Marriott's(100 night this year). Staff was not very knowledgeable, the night food was weak and the wine was horrible. Breakfast started 30 minutes late, where there was a line waiting and for those needing to beat traffic and get on the road, that was a severe problem. The chair in the room looked 50 years old. Will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Hello Tom L,
I'm so sorry that we fell short of your expectations. We normally do not get theses type of comments. We look forward to our upcoming renovation towards the end of this year. I have not had a complaint before on the wine, and because this review is anonymous, I am unable to research when you stayed, what food was served, etc...
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. I can be reached at (760)591-9828.
Toby

Reviewed 16 August 2017

The quality has really deteriorated lately. The following is a list of issues that caused us to move out after two nights: Room keys constantly having to be rekeyed. (Numerous guests shared this as well), sheets laundered in a perfume soap causing itching, electrical outlets not working, lights not working, utensils not sufficient (all tablespoons and no teaspoons), one of two elevators not working, sponges cut in half (obviously to save money), Furniture is in disrepair, television listings ie HBO not on the TV, handicapped hall buzzer broken and not repaired. WIFI is a joke. This is not the first time we have stayed here and are greatly disappointed. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear Peter R,
We definitely have been having problems with our key system and are currently working with our vendor to get this fixed. We are looking forward to beginning a renovation starting on December 1st. I will also address the laundry soap with our vendor, which is a National Account providing laundry chemicals across the globe.
My maintenance staff will certainly address the issues that you list of electrical problems. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention in this particular suite.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights. Nice spot to get to many north San Diego spots. Clean and large rooms. Pool and events each evening. Can walk to a mall. And most importantly can walk to Rip Current brewery.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear ShaunD926,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the Residence Inn of San Marcos, Ca.
I so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were able to also take advantage of our location to the mall and Rip Current brewery, it is a good choice.
We hope to see you again in the near future..
Toby

8.2 km away
Best Western Escondido Hotel
8.1 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County

Been to Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos? Share your experiences!