“great but request room on the parking lot side”

Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 28 October 2017

great hotel....make sure you request a room over looking the parking lot....it is more quiet on this side....the other side is next to a busy road and you get road noise....overall, great hotel and great location, close to everything

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank M G
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear M G,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent visit with us at the Residence Inn of San Marcos, Ca. I am truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

I stayed here 3 times so far and it's my favorite hotel in this area. I tried Fairfield Inn, but I didn't feel comfortable as here. Rooms are nice, big and always super clean. Front Desk is amazing, they have list of all local restaurants and they can help with any recommendation needed.
Yes, small sofa in room is not super nice and new but they told me they will have renovation sometimes soon.Hopefully this will be gone.
I will come back and I already told my travel agent that I want her to book me here whenever available. I checked In early which was so nice of them.
Oh yes that breakfast attendant was still there when I came and he asked me for tips money. I had only $1 and I gave him and he was not super happy. I know that tip is usually 20% but I don't know how much is expected when food is free, I usually don't tip in these cases, my bad.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank JessJ1988
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Wasted points staying here as the room had really dirty stained carpet and worn furniture. Staff were nice, decent breakfast was nice. When we came in at nught there werent manybsbacks left in the shop, but it was restocked in the morning. Pretty disappointing overall as a Marriott gold member.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Dan G,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit with us. We are anxiously awaiting our upcoming renovation beginning in December. I am so apologetic that your visit was disappointing, and I would be happy to return some of your points. Please reach out to me at toby.simmons@Marriott.com that I may verify your Marriott Rewards number. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Affordable rate, good facility in the room, complementary break fast is rich and good location for guests who have activities in north part of San Diego. To those point, I could rate higher.
But furnitures were old and dirty, one of two elevators were out of order during our stay for five days. Also the side exit was out of order for card key entrance which made me to go all ways around though reception for the parking access. Even worse, we didn't have room cleanup at the fist day. I appreciated very much to the receptionist who took my call for that and brought us replacements and refills of towels, papers, soaps and coffees immediately. The setup of the hotel is very nice, but the maintenance of facility and training of employees looked poor.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Toby S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. I certainly apologize that everything was not how we expect your stay to be. I will bring tis up with my team to make certain that this is an isolated incident going forward. We all look forward to our upcoming renovation in December, and we hope to see you back so you may experience the difference.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

First I wanted to give only 1 start, but then I remembered how people are nice at the Front Desk and Housekeeping.
I love Residence Inn, rooms are big and nice. In this one, you can tell almost everything is very old. I mentioned this to Front Desk and one nice lady told me that they are waiting for renovations at the end of the year. Which means that they know that they have an issue and they are working on it, so I am not taking any points for that...
If I was writing this at evening, after lovely Happy Hour (great desserts and vine options) I would give them 5*.
BUT...
Breakfast attendant made me so uncomfortable that I took the food and decided to finish mine breakfast in a room. He walked by me 2,3 times saying how tips are very appreciated and that's the way we can thank him for cooking for us. WHAT?! Wait...WHAT?! Since when someone needs to tell people to give tips? Is that some new rule?? I never stayed in any hotel where someone made me so uncomfortable. I always leave the tips when I feel that they are well deserved, but this made me so mad that I just waited to come home to write this review.
On my shock, I just read a similar review posted a month ago where one lady complained about the same issue. Does this means that Managers read this and they think this is perfectly fine?? I just want the answer on this. If they think that is how Marriott employee should behave then they will not see me ever again.
Long review, I know. But when I think of this guy I get very mad and uncomfortable and I had to share it.
To end the review on a nice note- if this guy is not there, I would enjoy my stay and I would come back.

Room Tip: If available, get the room that is facing the parking lot.