“Excellent Bar & Dine scene”

Central Park Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Central Park Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 418 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ellsworth Street
Description: Central Park Bistro is a 100 seat contemporary restaurant in downtown San Mateo featuring fresh seasonal American cuisine, in the $15-$26 range. We offer a carefully chosen eclectic Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. Central Park Bistro is an affordable sophisticated, fun dining experience. Relax and unwind with a house specialty cocktail at our wonderful Martini Bar. We also have several intimate private dining rooms perfect for that corporate presentation business meeting, wedding rehearsal dinner, retirement/anniversary dinner, or any special function you may have in mind. Check out our private wine cellar room which seats up to 8 people for that extra special dining experience.
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

I have dined here a few times previously. The place had more hustle & bustle than my previous visits. There were around 30 people at the bar enjoying happy hour; and they all looked happy.
I was here for a hosted medical meeting last evening. We were given a private dining room in the back by their wine cellar. The food was very good. I had a type of tomato soup that was very tasty. My salmon entree had that wild taste and was prepared well. Waiters were courteous and very attentive. They came around often to refill our wine and water.
I initially had their chosen chardonnay. It drank down like a chablis or sauvignon blanc. I then switched to their hosted cabernet which was very good.
My overall rating on this occasion was 4.5.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

We had an excellent meal here one Saturday evening. The food (and the wait staff) were authentically French, the dishes (tornedos rossini, lamb, steak frites) were perfectly cooked and presented, and the service was efficient and friendly. Advisable to book as all the tables were taken when we were there.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Great place for a nice upscale meal at a decent price. We had the salmon and the ribs. Both were excellent. You can also get discount cards from Costco as well.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

Having dined here about 3 times in the past year, I was disappointed to find that it was not as good this past week. The food was ok but as another reviewer mentioned, the duck confit was mostly pasta. The service was what was really sad to see. It seemed that we were imposing on the waiter and he was busy rushing even though the restaurant was not even half full. Something else was going on with the senior staff it seemed. The waitstaff was fine, filling water and presenting the dishes . Cigarette and another kind of smoke wafted through at times which was annoying. I cant be certain but I think that the prices have been raised on the entrees.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Have put off going here because the reviews haven't been that good and the menu seemed average. Met friends here for dinner and was pleasantly surprised.
We shared the crap cake which was really yummy.. all crab meat with very little breadcrumbs to bind. I had the scallops on risotto which was good - all perfectly cooked. And my friend had the truffle Pappardelle pasta. His dish was better. The fried Brussel sprouts and sundried tomatoes on the dish seemed out of place but worked.
Service: very good. Very attentive. Robert, one of the managers spent time talking to us about the restaurant..enjoyed that.
Dessert of Key Lime Pie was yummy and fresh.
No bread brought to table, but I think we could have asked.
Outdoor seating: a plus, but it's a main street. Didn't seem too noisy for diners outside.
Full bar. Ok wine list. Lots of private dining space in back. Even with two large parties there, our dinner or evening were not interrupted.
The restaurant itself is nicer, maybe even more elegant than I expected. Nice go back for a lunch. Prices were good to "special occasion" pricing.

1  Thank Tiny_Bubbles007