“Good restaurant in a fantastic supermarket”
Review of Viognier

Viognier
Reserve with OpenTable
Viognier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 429 Restaurants in San Mateo
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: B St. and Ellsworth
Transit: Cal Train / San Mateo Stop 1 block away
Reviewed 1 August 2016

First time there but parking is easy in the underground parking lot. Got there before reservation but were actually late as we were walking around the home goods and supermarket Draegers and lost track of the time. The menu is divided into a 3 course menu with two choices for each course and a 7 course menu without choices. Both menus offer wine pairing which I would recommend. Overall the food was fantastic early girl tomato soup was by far the best I've had in a while. The Cod was cooked perfectly and the chocolate donuts were a nice treat. If you didn't want the wine pairing they have extensive wine list and a full bar. The only improvement needed was the service, several times no water and our waitress left in the middle of taking our orders without saying anything. One entrée was also dropped onto the floor which so we couldn't all eat together. Not much of an effort to make ammends other than offering to pay the dry cleaning bill. However, overall it was an enjoyable evening and Ill be back.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I had a reservation on July 21st at the Viognier (party of 6) and I had the worst experience ever.
To start with, I asked for the wine menu and I had to implore the waiter to get the wine. The wine arrived after we finished the third course. Most of the time the plates were not taken out of our table before the next one arrived and we had to pile up our plates in order to have space.
My clients finished their beer and no one asked if they wanted more.
My wine was never poured as the glass got empty… I had to do that for myself and to the other 3 that were having wine on my table.
I was expecting to have a wonderful experience and I got the worst ever.
When I finished the dinner after my clients left, I talked to the manager who said that would return the gratuity paid due to the terrible service. She explained me that it was the first week of the new menu but I wanted to make it clear to her that the problem was not the food, it was the service. We were totally forgotten by the staff. Most of the time the plates would come and no one would explain us what was it… Are we supposed to memorize the menu?
I took my clients there to have a memorable experience not to go through that. It was a shame!
After telling what I went through to the manager, she told me that the gratuity would be cancelled due to the terrible service I had. As a matter of fact, it was charged to my credit card.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

My wife's sister turned 70 this year and we hosted an early dinner for her at Viognier on 18 May. The food, service and room were all excellent. There were plenty of cocktails consumed (the Palomas were a big hit and the birthday girl had three really well prepared Negronis). We ordered right off of the regular menu and the three people who had the lamb were raving about it as were the four salmon eaters. We had two roast beef eaters and one veggie tortellini diner. all was really well presented and prepared. We brought our own cake and some wine so only had to pay a cake cutting fee and a couple of corkage fees. The total was $1358 and we would recommend the restaurant highly.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

Inconsistency in the design of the menu and in execution, but some good moments in between... This really sums it up.
Some dishes on the menu look like they came from the rustic Italian joint and some from a very fancy french place so unfocused impression was created. Prices were quite high and that was consistant :)
Some food tasted OK but there was some very tasty dishes.

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

Stay away from this place. Terrible food and small portions. Best to go some place else for better cuisine. It is a supermarket of poor pretentious food.