“Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurant”

Add it.
Little Mandarin
Ranked #130 of 237 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed 27 March 2017

We were super hungry and not wanting to wait any longer for food. So we stopped for gas and saw this place and stopped in. We walked to the front and ordered and were given complimentary soup (very yummy). The place was fairly busy, despite it's drab appearance and average reviews. We shared a plate but both wished we hadn't as we were definitely hungry (we had assumed the portion would be huge but it wasn't).

Reviewed 10 February 2016

I have been to the Little Mandarin many times over the last 10 years but hadn't been back in a while. I went back and found that nothing had changed and it was as good as I remembered it. It is on a busy street, so parking can be difficult as it doesn't have it's own parking lot. The interior is plain with coffee shop type of tables. You can order from a table, but I found it was easier and faster if you order at the cashiers station. The "cashier" order taker was the same person I remember from all of my other visits so it was nice to know that the restaurant was still operating under the same staff. There are many noodle and rice dishes. You can get mild to very spicy items. They do a big take out business as they are located in a busy commercial area, Trader Joes,Whole Foods, RiteAide. If you order from the cashier your food will be delivered to your table. The restaurant reminds me of the little out of the places I used to frequent in San Francisco's China Town.

Reviewed 18 July 2015

I love Little Mandarin. It has all the charm of the legendary "hole in the wall" Chinese restaurant. Very popular with its neighborhood clientele but largely unknown in other parts of town, much less the world. Good menu, good service, no pretention. Priced very well. Give this a try.

1  Thank motohigh
Reviewed 13 April 2015

Being in the mood for a dish of almond chicken, which is about as Chinese as chop suey, the restaurant is full of locals out for a inexpensive dinner. The food and value was very good. There is nothing fancy about the Little Mandarin.

Reviewed 12 April 2015 via mobile

It was pretty crowded coming into the place. The food was okay but sadly it wasn't really flavorful. My friends that was with me was okay with the food. My food, which was sweet and sour chicken with rice, was not very good and sauce was lacking flavor.