“Off beaten path”

Ranked #153 of 237 Restaurants in San Rafael
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

This place is hidden in the "Canal" area, so I often forget about it. But it has the best Chinese in San Rafael.
In an area of the world filled with different Asian populations, I rarely eat Chinese food, preferring Thai, or Korean BBQ. But when I get the urge for some Americanized Chinese food, this is the place. Clean, polite, good food, decent value. Exactly what you'd expect...

Reviewed 13 December 2015

Tucked in an easy to miss location. However, you wouldn’t have missed much if you did. The food is typical -- nothing to kindle one's taste-buds for a rerun. The service is not particularly heart-warming.

Reviewed 22 February 2015 via mobile

In the San Francisco Bay Area we are surrounded by the best Chinese restaurants in the world. When I go to a Chinese restaurant I don't really expect the American experience there because it's an opportunity to give me the Chinese experience. So I would have to say that this food is average. I specifically went there to try the hot and sour soup it's a pretty easy thing to make mine was too fiery too peppery. And too salty. I order the chicken chow fun with black bean sauce and normally under reheat those noodles are really really good and when I had the leftovers the next day and they were not a texture that I like that much. Had the hot and sour chicken which was sort of average in a little bit too sweet. We had the Dr BBQ pork chops and they were a little bit too salty and peppery. So the food was okay but I think a little bit overseas and there's nothing special about it. If you sort of want to be underwhelmed by your experience this might be weird to eat if you're a little bit timid about eating Chinese foods. In all fairness to the staff I have to say it was a positive experience they were very very helpful and very attentive the restaurant is also very clean. And the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 3 December 2014

In the industrial area of San Rafael is a Mandarin favorite. Located in a strip mall, alongside a Dollar store is Pings. Not a fancy restaurant (their other Pings in Terra Linda is fancier), but very presentable and service is excellent. If you are in a hurry or if you want to linger this is the place to go. Extensive menu, and the food is consistently good. The lunch special with a bowl of soup is a bargain. If you like Won Ton soup, this is the place to go. The Won Tons are large and scrumptious. I am hooked on sweet and sour prawns--with the sticky red sauce. The prawns are large and fresh. Open all day, and Sunday.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Its just OK. I'm spoiled by the great Chinese food options in San Francisco however, Marin County really doesn't have great choices for Chinese food. I have gone during the lunch hour and recommend their lunch specials. The service is pretty good also.