“Bad Experience”
Review of Silver Surf Motel

Silver Surf Motel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in San Simeon
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Room was not what expected. There was NO air conditioner on the hottest weekend of the year. The manager was a total DB!!!!!!! Apparently, I was redirected to Expedia or some affiliate of theirs, when I made the reservation. I never saw Expedia written anywhere. That being said, the manager told me that the room was paid for and there was nothing he could do about it when I complained that there was no air conditioner, no private balcony, no ocean view. He just said it was my word against his. Being on the second floor and the window opened to a courtyard (dog poop area), there was no breeze, and due to safety concerns we could not leave the window open at night. Could not even stay the second night it was so hot. Money wasted, lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellej1720

Reviewed 3 September 2017

We made the reservation 6 days before our arrival and the manager was surprise that we expect the room according our requirement: silent room, first floor, with ocean view. We get a room with a view on the street, noisy, on the ground floor, with no view. The room is for disable people, next to the pool, small one without fireplace as was on photos.
The manager was very unpleasant and he did not want to change the room for different one. He said that it is .last available. As we stay for 2 nights, I checked offers
on internet and there was minimum 4 room available in this motel.
We paid USD 175 plus taxes for not properly clean room and not as we ordered, therefore it would be better not to use Tripadvisor. The price for the most expensive night 03.09.2017 was USD 140 plus taxes.
The motel supposed to be after renovation and all should be clean. The motel is neglected and not very clean. It is total disappointment, especially that we booked much in advance and we could choose cheaper Motels, which we saw them now and they are much better. Misleading description of the Motel.

Room Tip: Misleading description of the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Nice Staff, room clean, kids liked the pool, beds good room size good even had a balcony, close to the seals and Hearst Castle, being from NZ the squirrels in the parking lot of the seals amused us all too.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Very comfortable room, clean, new. Very close to the beach, so very convenient. Spa and pool welcome after a long day on the road, open late. Nevertheless, the spa and pool would need a little bit of refreshment.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 August 2017

We were going to arrive around 11:30-12 a.m. due to traffic from Los Angeles to Silver Surf. I tried to call the hotel several times to make them aware of this, but no one ever answered. I called Hotels.com to see if they could call on my behalf (maybe there was a separate phone line for 3rd parties). Hotels.com assured me that they made contact with the hotel and that my arrival time wouldn't be a problem. We actually arrived at 12:30 and the place was closed up tight! I had to ring the bell to get the manager to unlock the lobby and check me in. He was not very pleased with me and showed it through his tone. I apologized, but he didn't seem to care. Anyway, once we arrived in the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was newly updated, had nice linens and as a bonus there was a refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are accessed from exterior doors and there is no elevator, so be prepared to climb wooden steps if you are placed on the second floor. There is a lovely roof deck with ocean views and a great grassy courtyard. The hotel is best friendly so this area is fabulous for dogs to run around. The beach is just a 5 minute walk up and across the road. All in all this was a perfect stay for us. Our objective for staying in San Simeon was to visit Hearst Castle. It took us under 10 minutes to get there and we saw zebras in the fields. There is a pool, but it was closed at 9 am even though the posted hours begin at 8 am. The location of this hotel cannot be beat. This seems to be the main strip for hotels, as there were about 12 lining each side of the road. I would stay here again if ever in this area. The value cannot be beat. Other hotels in the area were at least $40 more per night, and they didn't offer anything more than Silver Surf. the next morning, at check-out the same man helped me who checked me in just 8 hours earlier. He was much more friendly and hospitable. I apologized again for my late arrival to which he replied that many people had been arriving late within the last week. I'm guessing he's not getting much sleep! I would recommend this motel to people who want a clean fresh room without paying ridiculous prices.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4.1 km away
Oceanpoint Ranch
Oceanpoint Ranch
#6 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!