“Wonderful evening at The Playground”
Review of The Playground

The Playground
Ranked #1 of 718 Restaurants in Santa Ana
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, International, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Spurgeon
Description: NOTE: We're doing major renovations that will require us to close the restaurant from July 18 through July 29. We're sorry if this causes you any convenience. Chef driven, ingredient driven affordable small plates and craft cocktails and beers. A young and creative team of chefs led by Executive Chef, Jason Quinn, change up the menu daily to keep the dining experience fresh and exciting. Orange County's "Best Bartender" making exciting craft cocktails and Santa Ana's best beer program, with 15 craft beers on tap and approximately 60 bottled beers, including many rarities. The dining experience is different at Playground: You're expected to share, so don't think in terms of my dish or your dish, and we're stubborn about our no-modification rule. If you're adventurous you'll probably love it; if you need control over your dish preparation, you probably won't.
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We made the reservation for 4 but ended up with 5. They managed to accommodate us which was the beginning of a nice evening. Good service, very attentive server who offered to bring 3 samples of beer for for my friend so he could decide which one he liked. The food was great and well presented. The short rib dish won the best tasting in our group. The signature chicken was good but I will rather have an extra order of the pork cheek that was awesome! Dessert was ok.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

My fiancé and I were recommended to this restaurant by one of his coworkers. We absolutely loved our experience here. We got seated as soon as we arrived. Our waitress was Kara, she was awesome and very knowledgeable. I love that their menu changes every week, thats a fun concept. We asked her to bring out her favorite appetizer for us to try out....and OMG we were in love with it. I forgot what it was called but it was a toast done in the waffle maker with some kind of coconut filling and for the dipping sauce sou sauce with an egg yolk, sounds funky. But it was so amazing, Im still thinking about it! Our entrees were so good as were cocktails, and dessert(decomposed strawberry cheesecake yummy)
Thank you Kara for the great service, we will be back.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

When we were at the art walk we decided to stop in for a drink our bartender was very knowledgeable about whiskey and the different Old Fashioned's we had very enjoyable time there nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

The food was delectable except for the wild mushroom dish. The curry was too spicy and the peppers drowned out any wild mushroom flavor. In addition the plating of the food and presentation was mediocre. Overall the flavors were fabulous but it left me wanting more of a visual experience.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This place is #1 for a reason - I have NO complaints, not even about their policy of "no substitutions" (which I'm certain is for a reason - they know how to mix and balance flavors oh my goodness). There were four of us and we shared all of the dishes we ordered. We started with the pork belly bun - tender, flavorful pork - not very big, but it's an app so it was appropriate. For our "mains" we ordered Uncle Lou's chicken (why in the world would anyone want to send it back even if they could), the brussels sprouts caesar (you will love it even if you think you don't like brussels sprouts), the pan noodle nightmare (NOT a nightmare at all), and the pan roasted chicken thigh with red curry (perfectly cooked and sauced). Beautiful presentations and outstanding flavors! Our son received a birthday dessert - the popular fig sticky toffee pudding - awesome. We also ordered the butterscotch pudding which reminded me of a velvety budino - outstanding. Our cocktails were refreshing and inspiring - Ecto Cooler, Purple Drank, and Monte Carlo Old Fashioned with huge, slow-melting ice cubes. If you're a beer connoisseur you will be so very happy as well - lots of interesting offerings! You have to pay for parking but it's a short walk from the structure if you can't find a space on the street with a meter. Make a reservation and GO!