US$234
US$225
QualityInn
US$229
Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$302
US$289
Brisas Del Mar, Inn At The Beach(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$387
Bath Street Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$260
Harbor House Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$355
Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$279
US$266
Best Western Beachside Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$355
US$301
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Agave Inn(Santa Barbara)(Great Value!)
US$239
Belmond El Encanto(Santa Barbara)
US$725
  • Pool
1,176 results
All reviewsrooftop poolfinch and forkfour poster bedstate streetwine houroutdoor fireplacedowntown santa barbaracomplimentary winebeautiful hotelcorner roomvalet staffdog friendly hotelhardwood floorsupgraded to a suiteour honeymoonhot tubshops and restaurants
Reviewed 31 March 2018

The Kimpton Canary is the best place to stay in downtown Santa Barbara. The staff is delightful and super helpful. The structure is classic Spanish and much nicer than a typical Kimpton. In fact, I think it's the best Kimpton I've ever stayed in. I highly recommend if you want to be in downtown.

Room Tip: The rooms are a bit small so if you want space, request a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
CanaryGM-RParker, General Manager at Kimpton Canary Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Chawk,
The best Kimpton you've ever stayed at? Wow! Thank you so much for staying with us and for the glowing review. We truly appreciate it.
ryan.parker@kimptonhotels.com

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We stayed for 3 nights recently and the experience was excellent from beginning to end. The staff was very helpful and genuinely cared. Loved the complimentary wine in the early evening with appetizers in the lobby every night. The roof top pool area was beautiful. Location is excellent and close to restaurants, shopping and wine tasting. Recognized my member status and upgraded us to a suite which was a unexpected surprise. Would stay again on our next visit.

Stayed: March 2018

64andrewc64,
Oh go on! Look at you- how sweet (suite!) to hear this. Thank you for the rave review and for staying with us downtown. We very much appreciate it and I'm so glad you enjoyed the J Dusi Zin blend or Pinot Grigio from Central Coast/Paso at our daily social hour.
All our best, see you again soon we hope!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We had a few hiccups at the beginning of our stay: Because we arrived an hour early, our room wasn't ready, and we were told that they would hold our luggage and send it up when the room was ready. When we asked the person who was checking us in for a recommendation of a restaurant where we could eat with our dog, we were told, "Oh, pretty much any place with a patio." We were hungry and unfamiliar with the restaurants in the area, so it would have been nice to get some more specific advice. Later, when we received a text that our room was ready, we checked in and went up. No luggage. We had to call, then they brought it up. We looked around the room but couldn't find any dog dishes or dog bed. (My husband called a day ahead specifically to let them know we would be bringing our dog.) We called downstairs again. A guy arrived with dishes but no bed. We asked again, and he brought one.

After that, we didn't have any other problems, but there are a few things you may want to know if you're traveling with your dog as we were:
1) There is a doggy welcome station next to the check-in desk with treats and a drinking fountain (1st photo), and they will write your dog's name on the chalkboard.
2) If you get a room with a balcony (we thought we would be able to dine on the balcony with our dog using room service), it is narrow and has no furniture (2nd photo).
3) The four-poster bed, while pretty, is very high. Unless you have a very tall dog, they probably won't be able to get on the bed by themself. This means you are going to be lifting your dog up and down every time. Definitely request a pet bed so your dog will have somewhere comfortable to lie down without having to get on the bed every time.
4) Laminate wood floors (pretty ones) in the rooms make it easy to see and hear when something falls on the floor. (We don't want our dog eating anything he is not supposed to have, so this is helpful.)

The 3rd photo shows the bathroom. (We had a king room with a full balcony.) The Spanish tile border is a nice touch; it feels very Santa Barbara. Kudos to this hotel for putting the toiletries in full-size refillable bottles, an eco-friendly choice. The combo shower/ tub has a rainfall shower head and a big soaking tub. The hook that you see next to the shower is the only place to hang a towel in the entire bathroom. There is no rack or hook near the sink.

There is a public parking lot behind the hotel (much cheaper than the hotel's valet parking) and a convenience store at the gas station across the street (in case you don't want to pay $10 for a bottle of water in your room). The room service food comes from their restaurant (Finch and Fork), which is delicious. If it's fried chicken night, get the fried chicken! Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Christina, ahhh that's disappointing because typically, dogs are all VIP at the Canary. I'm so sorry to hear we didn't roll out the red dog bed carpet with the usual excellence we normally do. I'm really glad you shared the feedback, thank you. Reach out to me when you return- I owe your four legged travel buddy a treat.
Cheers,

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We were looking for a relaxing property to celebrate our anniversary. We had our toddler with us since we don't have an overnight sitter, so the place also had to be family friendly. After researching all the hotels in SB, I decided on the Kimpton Canary because it looked to offer the best service and hospitality, in a gorgeous hotel.

First off, the property is gorgeous. The hotel rooftop pool was lovely, and we had a great morning where my little family swam and had the whole pool to ourselves. If it weren't for a weird incident with housekeeping where they walked in on me in the bath, I'd have given four/five stars.

Most of the staff is super friendly! We had a few indifferent front desk staff, who were also efficient but seemed to not really listen to my requests. Upon checking in, the clerk told me we didn't have the room with french doors like I booked (we have a toddler was hoping for a sound barrier between us when baby went to sleep so we weren't up whispering in the dark for hours), but a room with a separate area around the corner? I kept asking for a better description (room w/ separate door or separate area w/o door), but she seemed to not know what would be better suited for us. After a few minutes, we settled on the room with the french doors. She made the switch, and they sent up the crib.

I think my main issues were with the room and housekeeping. There were food crumbs under the couch when we checked in. The windows had no screens and were low, so it seemed a bit dangerous. We were in room 416, which barely got any light, it faced the valet area. The bed was beautiful but really uncomfortable! Ironically, our baby slept well and we tossed and turned all night. The room was dark and cramped, felt more like the size of a normal room and they partitioned it off to call it a "king suite." Also, could they please install REAL doors on the bathrooms? The bathroom was beautiful but just had closet doors, so you could HEAR everything. No privacy at all. Also, no door lock on the bathroom!

So we were settling in for the night and I was getting ready for a bath. The tub is beautiful and I was hoping for a relaxing bath. Housekeeping came by and offered turn down service. My husband let her in, and told her just turn down the bed, don't go in the bathroom because I was taking a bath. I don't think she understood English well, because before I knew it, I heard her going towards the bathroom! Both my husband and I were yellling NO! at her repeatedly but nope, she just ignored us and opened the door and got to see me full on naked. Super fun. Not how I wanted to spend my anniversary, having housekeeping stare at me naked. She closed the door and left, no apology. Glad it was at least a female housekeeper, and not a male.

So guys, please install door locks on the bathrooms? Or have your housekeeping listen to guests? Something?

We ate at Finch & Fork for our anniversary. Food was good, service was slow. They comped our dessert, which was nice of them. Did I mention service was slow? My husband and baby had to leave bc baby was getting restless, and I sat at our anniversary dinner alone for 10 minutes just waiting for the bill, watching our waiter go to every table except ours repeatedly.

Again, there are lots of plusses to the hotel. The wine hour was great, coffee and biscotti in the morning was great. Most of the staff were extra helpful. Valet was always nice, and were great getting us a bike to ride for the day. I think this stay made me like the Kimpton brand, but I don't know if I'd stay at the Canary again. Not with these room designs at least. It was two sleepless nights, and one where I went to bed embarrassed that I got to flash the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: don't get a room near the valet, they're super dark. king suites aren't worth it, they're tiny rooms
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank plural39

Plural39,
Ouch! Well, we do like to surprise with a few delights, but a surprise with a incoming Room Attendant when you are specifically asking for privacy is not what we intended.

I really appreciate all the comments, but we're disappointed things didn't go perfectly. Our apologies- thank you so much for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I stayed at the Canary only 1 night and I was quite ill. They were kind enough to let me check in early. I was speaking with Max and Denise during my check in and mentioned that all I wanted to do was to crawl into bed, watch and movie and have some chicken noodle soup. Upon getting to room I called room service and found out that they only had carrot ginger soup. As soon as I hung up with room service, my phone rang and it was the front desk. They were sending someone to an outside restaurant to get me the chicken noodle soup that I had mentioned as they didn't have it in house. THAT is 5 star service and it literally made my day. It certainly would have been easier for Max and Denise to simply let me check in and forget about me but they did not. Its gestures like this that truly make a hotel and give it an outstanding reputation in my book. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: 2nd level room facing the valet area. I was able to hear noise but it did not keep me up or bother me.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank M W

1995,

Gosh that is a heartwarming review, thank you so much for sharing. It's nice to work with a group of people who genuinely want to see you feel better, and taken care of. It's also a very lucky feeling when you have guests like yourself that really appreciate the genuinely kind gestures one puts in to making guests feel so welcomed. Thank you for sharing, and for staying with us. So glad you feel better!
Cheers,