Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$339
Hotels.comUS$339
FindHotelUS$339
CheapTicketsUS$339
Orbitz.comUS$339
TravelocityUS$339
All reviews communal kitchen rooms are small per night free parking wayfarer hostel zone funk wineries wallpaper freeway storage
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 May 2021

We really enjoyed staying at the Waterman. It has so much charm and character, and is in the perfect location to walk to things within Santa Barbara. The staff were super helpful and pleasant. The rooms were very clean (although a bit small) but that was okay for us. Very close to Helena bakery which is also a must try on any trip to Santa Barbara! Would definitely stay here again!

Date of stay: April 2021
Jean-Luc Laramie, General Manager at The Waterman, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2021

Good morning,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are so glad our staff took great care of you and provided you with such a wonderful stay. We have to admit we love our location in Santa Barbara as well. We cannot wait to welcome you back next time you are in Santa Barbara.

Reviewed 19 May 2021 via mobile

Up until THIS hotel, excuse me HOSTEL, i was a proud Marriott member. I could go on and on about how much of a disappointment/ regret this hotel was but ill leave it at STAY AWAY... unless you like spending a stupid amount of money for an uninhabitable stay. I dont have a problem spending money on quality but you will not get that here, you will be CATFISHED AND SWINDLED.
My girl friends and i were switched rooms by management because THEY overbooked. Moving us to a smaller room and me to a Murphy's bed with a broken ladder that a prison would have scoffed at. On this oh so glorious bed there was no sheet... Oh and want to shower and use the toilet at the same time? You're in luck! The shower and toilet double as one, just what i was hoping for on my only weekend off to celebrate my girlfriends bachelorette weekend. Oh and Marriott? Ya they could care less. Had we not said anything they would have kept the premium amount for the room we originally paid for! Classy. Suffice to say if i could give this less than one star i would. STAY AWAY! Spend your money somewhere that wont rob you. Pictures are a catfish.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Good morning,

Thank you for your recent review of The Waterman Santa Barbara. I wanted to reach out to you regarding your recent stay at our hotel as this is not the experience we want or expect our guests to have at our hotel. When we do have to move guests, typically we provide them with an upgraded room. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your stay. I hope you reach out to me directly. My email is gmmoxysb@247hotels.com.

Reviewed 27 March 2021

If trendy means you can get away with al comforts, then this could fit the bill.
The rooms are small, even by European standards, and I am European !
The bathroom is so small that the shower pane can not full slide away, so your toilet seat is hampered. Also when taking a shower, the curtain may stop the splashing, but the whole bathroom becomes wet and slippery. The sink is so tiny and the space so small it should go in a Lowes catalog. Where can you put your stuff ??

There is no light switch for the overhead bed lighting. You have to plug and unplug a power cord to a transformer to turn it on. Or leave the overhead Skylight (bright) on in bed, so romantic these full bright ceiling lights.
There is no couch, just the double bed they call a "queen" (by European standards). Feels like being in college again, so small it all is.

The desk is so small that don't expect to be able to do any significant work at this desk. And while you're looking for power, there is a fake power outlet next to it, so charging your electronics is a joke. Bring long wires.

If you get the room with to the highway view (30 yards), then good luck sleeping as the window curtains don't keep all the lights out, or car noise. But what can you expect for $300 p.n. in Santa Barbara ??

A communal kitchen rounds it out. Breakfast is a self cooking experience ??
I asked for an iron and board. They did find the ironing board, but the hotel was not able to find the iron. So make sure you travel with wrinkle free shirts.

I guess as a guest I just have to lower my expectations when staying here.

Room tip: Of the 30 rooms make sure you get a room facing the pool, or don't sleep.
Date of stay: March 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Eric C
Jean-Luc Laramie, General Manager at The Waterman, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2021

Good evening Eric,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet the expectations you have come to enjoy with Marriott. We recently transitioned to their company, just over a month ago, and are still scheduled to go through a renovation this year to become Moxy Santa Barbara. We are currently transitioning away from the communal irons to steamers in each room. I wanted to let you know we are going to look into the electrical issues you were experiencing in this room as this should not be the case in our rooms. We do hope you think of us in the future as we believe your next stay will be up to the expectation you have come to enjoy with other Marriotts.

Reviewed 15 March 2021 via mobile

Previously a hostel style hotel it recently became a Marriott property. There are a dearth of large chain hotels in central Santa Barbara so their association made booking a plus. It is central to the funk zone and the beach. It is small and the rooms small but well maintained -very European like. Soundproofing not very good. The staff was very helpful and the whole ambiance was fun. There is a large communal kitchen off the lobby and considering the covid requirement to eat outdoors we considered cooking or take out.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank davideddoc
Jean-Luc Laramie, General Manager at The Waterman, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2021

Good afternoon Davideddoc,

Thank you for your great review of our quirky property. We love our location as well and are glad to hear that our staff was able to take great care of you. We always love showing people the neighborhood and encouraging the inner explorer in all of our guests. We cannot wait to welcome you back and show you another good time.

Reviewed 14 January 2021 via mobile

I love the fact that they had a full functional kitchen that was accesible to all the guests, it really contributed to the at home feel.
The room and furniture were very nice, clean and sanitized.
All of the employees where beyond nice and attentive. I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Santa Barbara and the location is prime, walking distance to EVERYTHING; restraints, bars, wineries etc. (all closed during COVID) however I could only imagine the liveliness of the hotel and community when we are out of COVID. I will be staying here when we return !

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank F1000OGnicholasj
Jean-Luc Laramie, General Manager at The Waterman, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2021

Good morning F1000OGNicholasj,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff went above and beyond. Yes, this area has such a great vibe when there are fewer COVID restrictions. We cannot wait to welcome you back to Santa Barbara.