“Famous cafe that delivers good food”
Review of Santa Cruz Diner

Santa Cruz Diner
Ranked #33 of 395 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 13 May 2018

This café has a large menu and the food is always good. The service has been great, the place is often crowded but they seem to get people in and seated fairly quickly.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

I'm local but don't come to SC Diner much; hadn't been in a few years. Met a friend for early breakfast during the week recently. The food was OK; my friend ordered potato pancakes as she said her German family used to make them. They were a big disappointment; very little egg was included in the potatoes, so they looked like shredded potatoes. They didn't look very appetizing (I didn't taste them). I had pancakes and eggs and they portion was very large. The food was acceptable; not terrific, and not awful. Pretty much what I expected. Our biggest complaint was our server. The restaurant wasn't busy and the waitress did bring coffee right away. But after waiting a VERY long time for her to return (about 30 minutes); I finally got up and went to the cash register (she was standing next to it doing nothing), and told her when she was free, we were ready to order. It was ridiculous; as she wasn't waiting on others; just hanging out. She took our order and then proceeded to "kill us with kindness," which was so insincere, it was off-putting. I don't need the waitstaff calling me "love" in hopes of salvaging the tip. I won't hurry back to the Santa Cruz Diner. The large portions of average food and the inept waitstaff isn't incentive enough. There are great breakfast options in Santa Cruz; I'd check one of those out instead.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

I understand that this place was featured on a national television show. I can understand why. The food here is terrific. From the variety on the menu, to the portion size, and the quality of the cooking, it is not to be beat. Period. We went there on a busy Saturday night. The place was crowded and we were seated nearly immediately. The waiter showed up quickly as did the food that we ordered. This place could teach a course in how to run a diner well. They pay attention to the details, and it shows.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We had so much fun interacting with our server today. We tried to figure out what part of Europe he was from, but struck out. Our food was great. They give huge pancakes and their corn beef and hash is homemade. My son ordered a mocha milkshake that he said was thick and very tasty. They have a lot of menu choices and they have different homemade soups each day. We got there too early to order lunch, but the items looked great. On Thursdays after 4pm, they have Loco Moco, so we'll be back sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

The menu is big, but the food sucks. Waste of calories. I'm sure Jack in the box would be been a better choice for breakfast.

Ordered a classic bacon and eggs breakfast with toast. None of it was any good. Save your time and money and go elsewhere.