“Inexpensive and authentic”

Falafel House
Ranked #154 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Regularly stop in for the shawarma and falafels. All good. Pricing reasonable. Fresh preparation. And a very congenial owner!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 10 July 2017

The price is good for the amount of food you get but wasn't overly impressed with the flavors. Tasted like a pretty standard falafel but nothing really gave it that extra kick that made me want to go back.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 30 December 2016

Savory dishes: the taste tells you the food is prepared daily and is fresh. Ambience is cozy, nothing fancy and ample room for small and larger groups.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

I was walking around downtown Santa Cruz and came upon the Falafel House. Having spent some time in the Middle East, I was keen to try the place. Upon entering I was ecstatic to see that it was owned by Syrians. I recognized several of the places in pictures on the walls. Damascus has been my favorite place I have lived, and I remembered the food being excellent, much better than the Lebanese versions. The Falafel House did not disappoint. The food was great and brought back good memories of my time in Damascus. The Falafel House is a great place to try some Syrian Arabic cuisine.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 16 September 2016

This is the best falafel place in town, and a bit of a local secret. Great gyros, shawarma, pepper steak, and burgers too! And the fries - I don't know what they do - I usually avoid eating french fries but theirs are irresistible. They have the best tabbouleh I've ever had anywhere, and I haven't found anything on the fairly extensive menu yet that I haven't liked. Friendly people, great prices, right downtown. And unique decor - the kind and culinarily-gifted Syrian-heritage owner put up tourist posters from Syria that predate the awful war there, and Arabic language music videos (mostly from Egypt) play quietly on a small TV screen - like MTV of the 80s but middle eastern.

Date of visit: September 2016