“One of the best in Santa Cruz !”

Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 406 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 1 November 2018

It was a warm , cozy and comfort restaurant with a variety of food options in menu .Our friends and I had a wonderful night and yammy dinner . Several kinship of sushi rolls , spring rolls , delicious shrimp and vegetable tempura ,Japanese soup and ..... There was a sushi Master , I have heard . Staffs were helpful and polite , prices was reasonable . Highly recommended specially if you are a sushi fans .

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 2 September 2018

Not the best Japanese food we've ever had, but certainly good enough. I don't think we'd get the Bento boxes again; the main dishes (teriyaki chicken, pork, tempura veggies) were good, & the miso soup was unusual with a delicious smoky taste. But the salad was boring, the rice white, the "dessert" a slice of watermelon. And at dinner the Bentos are at least $20. The sushi looked fresh & beautifully prepared; next time we'll try that. There are many other entrees offered as well, & a great adult-beverage list. We chose an unusual unfiltered sake that was wonderful.

The atmosphere is mellow, quiet, comfortable ~ except that the music was loud 50's American pop stuff. Ugh! I like that music ok, but not for dinner in an otherwise peaceful Japanese restaurant. Our waiter was fine but we'd have appreciated not feeling rushed to choose our meals & drinks.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank JamaisVu
Reviewed 6 February 2018

I have finally come to the conclusion that I will never eat at a American Japanese joint ever again unless it is out of desperation. The formula menu and preparation including ingredients and flavors of all of the places I have eaten in the past 10 years, including SHogun, is so utterly boring and predictable to the point that I can’t take it anymore. Everything was fair, don’t get me wrong, it is just not a dining experience as much as the acquisition of basic food in a timely manner. Perhaps there is a place in SC that is a departure from this frustration of mine, I know not…

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank jarasta
Reviewed 14 September 2017

If it's sushi my wife & I are after it's Shogun. Uni and Sung Ho have made a great place here after starting with the Miyako in Capitola ~25 years ago.
The restaurant does a high volume business, which is good, because that drives fresh fish deliveries many times a week. Large portions of fish and friendly service.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank RonCentralCA
Reviewed 10 July 2017

The sushi was very good. Had katsu, some rolls, and tempura. Just seemed the price was a little high.

Date of visit: June 2017