“Inedible pizza”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We wandered into NY&C Pizza strolling down Wilshire one day. The logo was kinda cool on the door, and the atmosphere itself was fun inside. It seemed fairly authentic. There was a great server there who chatted with us. We ordered a couple specials. Figured, can't go wrong! But the pizza was downright DISGUSTING. Not just disgusting, inedible. Something a child would make, a small child. It was greasy, runny, the cheese was gooey and dripping everywhere. You literally could not pick it up cause all the toppings fell off when I tried to eat it and the pizza just went limp and soggy. I'm really mad at myself for not insisting that we get our money back. Cause at the end of the day, there's some responsibility on us as customers/diners to voice when things are bad vs just accepting then trashing it later. So, I should have done that. Since I did not, I cannot account for how they would have handled it. I'm really puzzled by the four star reviews for it on Trip Advisor, albeit, only a few total, but wondering, were they just having a really bad day when we came in? Did they change staff? I agree with the reviews about the nice, spacious, replicated NY atmosphere, but I can honestly say that it's probably the worst pizza I've ever had. With the exception of the truck stop in Barstow. Ouch.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Try the happy hour for pitchers of a whole range of beers M-F 3pm to 8 pm $11. Pizza by the slice and great (big) salads. Pizza in my opinion is the best in L.A. -big slices served in a matter of minutes. Half of the restaurant displays NY memorabilia and the other half comes from Chicago. Friendly efficient staff.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Yelp tells me I've been here at least twice now, which sounds about right. From what I remember, I've been here once for a friends' birthday and once (more recently) after a night out in SM. Legend has it this place stays open until 4am, so you can imagine how crowded it gets on a weekend at 2 in the morning.

As the name suggests, they have both Chicago and NY style pizza, or deep dish and thin crust for the laymen in the audience. I'm pretty sure I've only tried the thin crust, which is what I prefer anyway, and its good but not amazing. If you're looking for simple quality pizza, a good place to share some beers with friends, or maybe just something to soak up the alcohol at the end of your night, then this place is for you.

If you're looking for gourmet pizza or if you're a huge NY or Chicago pizza snob, I'd keep walking.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

In brief: very good thin-crust pizza though a little pricey.

Located on a busy strip of Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica, NY&C tries to recreate the feeling of Manhattan with its decor. The interior is spacious with a bit of Italian deli-subway feel. Around 7:30pm on a Monday night, it was about 1/3rd full with people who were obviously enjoying their evening.

The three of us shared a full-sized thin crust pizza topped with mushrooms, basil and sliced tomato. The pizza was beautiful on arrival with plenty of the three toppings. The tomato was sliced thicker than I would have preferred, but the other two guests did not seem to mind. The crust was good, but also thicker than I like to see in a thin crust. The cheese layer was just right and the pizza was not swimming in oil.

I had brought in a special bottle of Zinfandel to share and it paired beautifully with the pizza. There was a $10 corkage fee.

The three of us had a nice evening and enjoyed an excellent pizza. I've had better, but this was in the top tier of pizza I've had outside of Rome.