“Terrific...and the only Ethiopian for miles around.”
Review of Abyssinia

Abyssinia
Ranked #92 of 582 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 31 December 2017

Four of us went for lunch, so we got a vegetable combo and a meat combo. Plenty enough for the group...and delicious.

If you've never had Ethiopian food, it is very flavorful and not particularly spicy hot. You eat by grabbing the food with swatches of injera bread...with is their version of a sourdough flatbread.

A great experience. I've been to dozens of Ethiopian restaurants. This is not the very best, but it's very good. You'd have to go to SF or Oakland to top this.

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

This is beyond great Ethiopian, it's some of the best food in the North Bay! If you're familiar with Ethiopian food already, you'll love it. The service is wonderful and atmosphere is very casual, but still feels special and cozy. And, the food is great! There are meat-filled, vegetarian, and even vegan options. A full vegan plate that is amazzzzzzzing.

For anyone who hasn't tried Ethiopian, go!! It'll be a fun and tasty meal and the service is so friendly and makes everyone feel welcome and cared for. There have always been first-timers in the restaurant when I've been. If you've survived trying Indian food for the first time, if you've survived Thai food the first time... Ethiopian is no different. Seems foreign at first, but then you realize what you've been missing.

I strongly suggest the meal plates that come with a few stews (wat... it's kinda like thick curry) and injera (the yummy, thin, fresh sourdough crepe bread). The lentil wat is my personal favorite here. The stews vary in level of spice heat from zero to medium, so be sure to ask when ordering about issues you have with heat.

I already can't wait to go back just thinking about this place.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

The food and service were great each time we visited.

The vegetarian combination plate is everything you'd want it to be (and I hear that the meat dishes are equally pleasing). Every appetizer we ordered was flavorful. Not spicy but they will adjust as needed.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

This family-owned gem boasts wonderful East African flavors that will leave you in absolute bliss. Its charming atmosphere, wonderfully attentive service, and absolutely stunning plating leaves one with the quiet solace of having experienced an authentic Ethiopian supper - or lunch, for that matter! It is a must-do for the ethnic food lover and general all-around foodie alike. One of Santa Rosa's best!

Reviewed 13 February 2016

I had never had Ethiopian until I tried this place and now I am hooked. I love the vegetarian sampler. I don't do spicy AT ALL and they will substitute more of the non-spicy dishes for the ones I can't eat. They can accommodate gluten free, and my friends who are meat lovers say the lamb is to die for. Highly recommend.