“An Idyllic retreat at the Golden Gate”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Towards the end of this last August, when I learned that a very generous friend had gifted my traveling companion and me with a night at the Cavallo Point Inn at the Golden Gate, I was not only very touched by the gesture, but eager to experience this exceptional Bay Area resort about which I had heard good things, but had never visited.

The Inn is situated at historic Fort Baker in the Golden Gate National Parks at the shore of the San Francisco Bay just inside the Golden Gate between the North Anchorage of the Golden Gate Bridge and the picturesque little town of Sausalito, with its scenic bay front promenade, upscale boutiques, fine dining, and bohemian houseboat community.

The Inn occupies re-purposed officer's quarters and club buildings dating from the early 1900's, along with several attractive newer inn buildings, a well-appointed spa complex, and a conference center.

As we approached the Inn, driving the few miles of two lane road from Sausalito, I was struck by the unique characteristics of the place: invisible from nearby busy Hwy 101, the gracious vintage buildings are are set in a hollow of the land opening down beyond the green of the old parade ground to a small cove with a marina and views of San Francisco, and of the Bay, with its endless procession of ships, fishing vessels, and pleasure craft. Such an idyllic, scenic, and expansive space right in the heart of one of the world's most densely populated, busy, and expensive places is a precious resource indeed.

Cavallo Point was developed and is operated by Passport Resorts, who also run Big Sur's exclusive and exquisite Post Ranch Inn. This elite pedigree showed itself in the really exceptional service and quality of amenities we experienced. From the very alert, friendly, and helpful valet parking staff to the efficient and informative reception clerks, to the housekeeping crew, to the restaurant servers, the quality of service was top-notch without being in any way obsequious.

Our " View Historic King Suite" in one of the old officer's residences was very thoughtfully renovated and well-appointed. Many of the original interior architectural details of the unit had been preserved, while the bathroom was impeccably done and had fine toiletries and linens, and the sitting room had nice furniture, a big T.V., a mini-fridge, a Nesspresso coffee maker, electric tea kettle, and a Britta water filtration carafe.
The bed and its linens were excellent as well.

Throughout the resort, the management has placed fine original art (Mostly art photography with local relevance by more than 20 mainly local photographers).
In our unit there were archival quality prints of works by Judith Selby Lang with images of sea-weathered plastic objects found on the Marin County coast.

We did not eat dinner this time in the resort's well-regarded Murray Circle restaurant in one of the old buildings facing the parade ground, but did have a very good made-to-order breakfast there as part of our lodging package. The evening of our arrival, we did partake of the complimentary afternoon wine service, which we enjoyed sitting on the veranda, talking with some very agreeable fellow guests while watching the "Golden Hour" unfold across the scenic Golden Gate.

In lieu of taking advantage of the deluxe amenities of the resort's spa facility, the morning after our night at the inn, we entrusted our car and our luggage to the staff, and fulfilled a lifelong desire to walk the Golden Gate Bridge, setting out on foot from Cavallo Point, up a moderately easy trail to the North end of the bridge and then across the span to San Francisco, and back again. This wonderful little adventure was accomplished in a couple of hours without being in a car, dealing with parking, or spending any additional money.

Cavallo Point offers its guests a frequent complimentary shuttle service to and from the Sausalito Ferry Terminal, enabling the convenient possibility of a very rich automobile-free experience to visitors from both near and far.

It would be remiss to not mention the very real commitment of the Cavallo Point management to being mindful of providing locally oriented environmental educational resources and health-enhancing activities, and of striving for sustainable facilities management and sourcing of food and other supplies.

Overall, I highly recommend the Cavallo Point Inn at the Golden Gate to anyone able to afford a premium travel experience who is looking for something exceptional, and is willing to do a little homework to get the most out of a visit to this unique environment.

Room Tip: We suggest booking one of the view units in one of the historic buildings
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
CavalloPointGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Dear Peter,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and thorough review of your recent stay at our Lodge. You are obviously very detailed oriented and the fact that you appreciated all that we have to offer brings my appreciation to a higher level. We hope to have you stay with us sometime in the future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

The Cavallo point lodge is a very unique place. You'll find it in Sausalito, right over the Golden Gate Bridge. The property is right by Fort Baker. The main buildings are restored historic architectural treasures. The combination of old and new is throughout the property.
The food is outstanding! The bar and restaurant have covered porches that face out towards the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The service is spot on and the atmosphere is welcoming. I make sure to at least stop in to Cavallo for a coffee or drink when I'm in the area. My next visit I would like to stay in one of there wonderful rooms and enjoy the whole experience.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank smp00
CavalloPointGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

I am glad Cavallo is a place you enjoy so much to take a little break every now and then. We hope you are able to spend a night soon, feel free to look on our website for any activities that are taking place during your stay (hikes, yoga classes, cooking classes, meditation, etc.) so you can take full advantage of them.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Sit in the comfortable chairs by the fireplace, order a veggie sandwich with some french fries, relax, people watch, ride a bike around, enjoy yourself. This place is magic, plus they have culinary workshops, meditation and other recreational activities. Definitely a place to go with a love one or family

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you, Seth. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your wonderful feedback. We are glad you loved the place and the activities it has to offer.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

This resort is absolutely fabulous! My partner and I stayed here for a romantic getaway. If you are looking for something away from the hustle and bustle but still close to it all then stay here. The rooms were very clean and staff was very accommodating! The restaurant served very clean and fresh food and was never a disappointment. If you like romantic getaways then stay here!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
CavalloPointGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this wonderful feedback. We appreciate it and are glad to hear you enjoyed a romantic getaway.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We’ve just returned from a weekend at Cavallo Point that I had booked to celebrate my husband’s 60th birthday. While we had a nice weekend, there were several glitches that should NOT happen at a hotel where you are spending upwards of $500/night.

I purposefully booked a Contemporary DLX King Golden Gate View room as I had stayed in one of these rooms previously and wanted my husband to have the same experience. When we checked in, the front desk agent reiterated that I had booked that room and handed me the keys. When a bellman took us to our room I was a little surprised to look out the windows and see not the bridge but a huge tree. I mentioned to the bellman that we had booked a view room. He was great and handled the front desk and had us moved to room 2103 which has a full bridge view and which I would recommend to anyone.

I had also prebooked the inroom bartender service as I thought it would be a fun surprise. The day before we arrived I called ahead and spoke to room service to arrange the time and which cocktail. I asked at that time to make sure that when we checked in it was not mentioned as it was a surprise. He repeated back to me that he would make sure the front desk didn’t mention it. Guess what happened? Yeah the surprise was ruined.

I had also booked us both massages for Saturday late afternoon. We spent the date up around Tomales Bay without cell service and on our way home my phone rang. One of the masseuses had an emergency and they weren’t going to be able to accommodate my husband’s appointment. I had them shift my appointment to him since it was his birthday. They did give him 20% off but that was the very least they could do.

Did I mention that there was an amenity in the room – a half bottle of wine and a box of chocolates and a card addressed to Steve Andrews. Neither of us is named Steve Andrews.

The room itself is large and comfortable. The bed and linens are top notch. The carpet desperately needs replacing as it is covered in stains. There is no AC which was fine during our trip but from what we heard was hellish the weekend before during the heat wave. It can get a little noisy with the back up beeping of the golf carts and fog horns but we were both fine with earplugs. The bathtub is great if awkward to get in to.

The restaurant is desperately in need of better management. I had booked Saturday night at Murray Circle as my husband’s birthday dinner. When we arrived they went to sit us at literally what is the worst table in the restaurant – in a corner by itself basically at the edge of the private dining room where there was a large party and only a curtain separating us from the loud party. We turned that table down and then had to wait 30 minutes for a different table. The hostess was just slow and over her head. Even though we were waiting and saw the people leave from the table we knew was going to us it took almost 15 minutes to clear and set the table. On the plus side all the food was delicious.

I have a previous 5 star review of Cavallo from 2011 and I’m really bummed that this follow up is not as positive.

Room Tip: 2103 has great views of the Golden Gate bridge
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank elynchking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Fisherman’s Wharf
Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!