“Served It's Purpose Adequately - Easy Parking and Good Breakfast, Comparatively Better Value than Other Local Choices”
Review of Aladdin Inn

Aladdin Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed at the Aladdin Inn in mid/late-May 2017 for 2 periods of 3 nights and then 4 nights during a month-long tourist holiday of Cent/West USA, before and after staying in Yosemite Valley. I found it to be just about all that I had hoped for from the description and reliable TA reviews.

I plumped for this motel as it gave me good access to the Stanislaus National Forest region for hiking before/after my period in Yosemite; it was also attractive being close to facilities and offering the potential for easy car parking. I found it difficult to find anything other than this motel offering a similar location/price, most places in this area seemed comparatively overpriced, probably due to it being used by many as a staging-post to get to Yosemite....

I had booked my stays via Expedia for a total pre-paid cost of around £94/app$120 (incl taxes, make sure you allow for this when you compare prices like-for-like as some hotel booking site quotes exclude them in the headline rate !) for a Standard King room with free cancellation (up to the day before, I've often found this handy before in case a better option crops-up at the last minute !).

The motel location was great for readily accessing Stanislaus National Forest on Highway 108 and also the central area of Sonora for retail outlets; it was also handy to travel NW to other places for alternative days out eg the caverns located N and S of Murphys.

Considering Sonora now has a bypass, I was surprised how busy 'Mono Way' (the old H108 I think) is - being wide/sloped attracts traffic and speed = noise ....

The free onsite parking and check-in were fine both times, and the 2nd time I got a room a little further from the stairs/ice machine as that region especially attracts a lot of 'activity'.....

NB there is no lift available and work meant spaces could be at a premium at the rear, which was the man place to get to the accommodation 'block'.

Both my rooms were fine, with all the advertised facilities BUT differed hugely in the furnishings. The first had much more clothes hanging space, the 2nd reduced that in preference to a dining table/chairs. Both had decent worktop/desk areas and the microwave/fridge were specially useful. I knew that there was no in-room safe AND that the reception has no safety deposit facility either (at least it was never offered).

Both times I found the wifi signal to be very weak and often unreliable - annoying.

Unfortunately, the other issue I had was with noise - especially as the motel was busy and each time I had a room located facing Mono Way..

The first issue was with various groups of inconsiderate residents, who often used the central internal corridor as an extension of their room for social use (this motel seemed to attract groups who would stay in for their 'activities') plus groups would regularly leave their doors propped open so that they could have 'shouting' conversations with each other. When I complained to reception, a response was swift BUT included the staff not only shouting about the issue in the corridor but ALSO stating who the complainant was !!! So, on subsequent occasions where exactly the same kind of inconsiderate behaviour occurred I dealt with it myself - swifter, less burdensome on the motel staff and fewer people would know I was complaining.....!!!

Secondly, the noise from THAT road was often intrusive - the best solution would be to have a room on the non-road side, or wear ear plugs as I did (the added benefit that it also inhibited the noise from fellow residents which started early and finished late).

I had no problem with cleanliness/housekeeping matters or room equipment etc for either of my stays.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable and to be clear, the 'road' some talk about where the 3rd-party owned diner is located is the road separating it from the motel and which leads to the rear parking area - it's not Mono Way, so it's about 20ft away !

Regularly busy, each morning you have to collect your 'voucher' (from reception) for a selection of meals OR it can be used as $5 off other menu items; drinks are extra BUT you can take your own coffee in, handy as the motel reception has free coffee on tap !

I've attached a photo of the voucher so you can see the choices and overall 'meal deal'.

So, whilst I didn't exactly enjoy my stay at the Aladdin Inn it served it's purpose perfectly adequately for use as a base for local travelling and accessing nearby facilities. Nowhere in the Sonora area seemed to offer quite the same value when compared to, for example, Monterey (East Ca) where I stayed later (it was also only about 30% cheaper than my Days Inn room in central San Francisco, with similar facilities); I assume this is because Yosemite is on the route for many, so demand etc dictates prices. The 'bonuses' I think you might consider with the Aladdin Inn vs others are the lack of parking issues and the 'proper' breakfast on offer.

Room Tip: Facing Away from Mono Way
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank LPWilliams

Reviewed 25 July 2017

The room was dirty. The coffee pot was dirty. This room was not dusted in many months. The door did not work properly and there is no security. Anyone can wander into the building at any time. The staff does not care about the cleanliness of the rooms. After complaining, nothing was done the next day that the room was supposed to be cleaned. I offered to show my photos to the person at the front desk but they did not want to see them so I decided to share some of them here.

Room Tip: Find one that is clean
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Grammy247
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Nothing special to mention. It's basically an average hotel with expensive rates, seeing as it's the gateway to local attractions and Yosemite, so they get away with charging high prices for an regular place. Didn't care for the bed too much, mattress seemed a bit old. Kidney shaped pool on the property. It's about 3 miles outside of old town Sonora itself, which is good if you want to around the through traffic in the AM and head out on the highway, close by. There's also a mall close by, with a supermarket and other stores, to stock up for your stay there or your camping.

Unfortunately my room had a bad a/c. When I got there late afternoon I tested it out as per their written instructions, and it stopped functioning after 5 minutes. Figuring, as per instructions, that it needed a 10 minute reset, I went about my business with friends and returning at 11 PM could not get it to start. The lobby told me to unplug and replug, which did not help. So they gave me a different room, which was lucky as it seemed fairly full. But wish I had asked right away, as annoying to change rooms at 11 PM.

Other than that, the staff is ok and the lady at the front desk in the morning was very pleasant and full of local info. They have a breakfast voucher for the diner next door, which is actually very good.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Hotel has a good bedroom and a good bathroom! There is a little pool as weel. Beside the hotel there is a place to have breakfast, which is very yammy!
The attendent at the reception was not so nice.
The price is very ok too!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank andrecalderini
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Not a bad place to stay. Relatively clean, with good WiFi connection and in-room basics. Not luxurious, but allows pets in some rooms and has a great diner across the parking lot. I would recommend for a quick, not super expensive stay in the area. Close to downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property if street noise will bother you.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
0.2 km away
31.4 km away
Yosemite Gold Country Lodge
Yosemite Gold Country Lodge
#1 of 1 in Coulterville

Been to Aladdin Inn? Share your experiences!