“Full breakfast - the reason enough to stay here!”
Review of Aladdin Inn

Aladdin Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I have stayed many hotels over the years of traveling. I like reasonably priced decent hotel in quiet and convenient location. Aladdin Inn met all my expectation and the breakfast was fantastic and so different from many other big chain hotels. We were given a breakfast voucher to the restaurant next door. Hot breakfast choices!
Even though we had to pay for our coffee ...
Room is big and comfortable.
Only complain was a face towel was dingy gray color. I am sure it has been washed but I would hope they will bleach those towels every so often to keep it white.
Over all, I would recommend this place!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oldprune

Reviewed 21 August 2017

The room was large and clean. It took about an hour and a half to get to Yosemite Valley from here. Breakfast in the adjacent restaurant was quite large, they accept the voucher given to you. Stay here to go to the park.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2017

You will have difficulty beating this price which includes a complementary breakfast/discount at the adjoining restaurant. A/C worked great. Minutes from downtown Sonora or neighboring towns. It definitely is worth a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I was looking for a convenient (and inexpensive) base of operations to visit Yosemite from and this place really fit the bill...literally.

The price of a room is cheap...around $100 - 130 for 1 person and about $30 more for 2.

The rooms are spacious and clean. Showers were fine and the beds were large and comfortable. Also, you have pretty good control over the room temperature.

You can go down in the lobby and get coffee or tea any time, but one of the best deals was their complimentary breakfast. You got a coupon for a diner next door to get eggs and bacon, or pancakes or waffles. A legit meal! And the food was really good.

Can't remember the name of the diner, but the place deserves its own 'Very Good' review.

Finally, the trek into Yosemite is pretty short..about 90minutes and of course its a beautiful drive.

One last thing...Wifi service and cell phone access is limited here. But that seems to be true of all the places near Yosemite.

For the price, location, accommodations, and food. This place can't be beat.

When I come back to Yosemite to do a day hike..I'm coming back here!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed at the Aladdin Inn in mid/late-May 2017 for 2 periods of 3 nights and then 4 nights during a month-long tourist holiday of Cent/West USA, before and after staying in Yosemite Valley. I found it to be just about all that I had hoped for from the description and reliable TA reviews.

I plumped for this motel as it gave me good access to the Stanislaus National Forest region for hiking before/after my period in Yosemite; it was also attractive being close to facilities and offering the potential for easy car parking. I found it difficult to find anything other than this motel offering a similar location/price, most places in this area seemed comparatively overpriced, probably due to it being used by many as a staging-post to get to Yosemite....

I had booked my stays via Expedia for a total pre-paid cost of around £94/app$120 (incl taxes, make sure you allow for this when you compare prices like-for-like as some hotel booking site quotes exclude them in the headline rate !) for a Standard King room with free cancellation (up to the day before, I've often found this handy before in case a better option crops-up at the last minute !).

The motel location was great for readily accessing Stanislaus National Forest on Highway 108 and also the central area of Sonora for retail outlets; it was also handy to travel NW to other places for alternative days out eg the caverns located N and S of Murphys.

Considering Sonora now has a bypass, I was surprised how busy 'Mono Way' (the old H108 I think) is - being wide/sloped attracts traffic and speed = noise ....

The free onsite parking and check-in were fine both times, and the 2nd time I got a room a little further from the stairs/ice machine as that region especially attracts a lot of 'activity'.....

NB there is no lift available and work meant spaces could be at a premium at the rear, which was the man place to get to the accommodation 'block'.

Both my rooms were fine, with all the advertised facilities BUT differed hugely in the furnishings. The first had much more clothes hanging space, the 2nd reduced that in preference to a dining table/chairs. Both had decent worktop/desk areas and the microwave/fridge were specially useful. I knew that there was no in-room safe AND that the reception has no safety deposit facility either (at least it was never offered).

Both times I found the wifi signal to be very weak and often unreliable - annoying.

Unfortunately, the other issue I had was with noise - especially as the motel was busy and each time I had a room located facing Mono Way..

The first issue was with various groups of inconsiderate residents, who often used the central internal corridor as an extension of their room for social use (this motel seemed to attract groups who would stay in for their 'activities') plus groups would regularly leave their doors propped open so that they could have 'shouting' conversations with each other. When I complained to reception, a response was swift BUT included the staff not only shouting about the issue in the corridor but ALSO stating who the complainant was !!! So, on subsequent occasions where exactly the same kind of inconsiderate behaviour occurred I dealt with it myself - swifter, less burdensome on the motel staff and fewer people would know I was complaining.....!!!

Secondly, the noise from THAT road was often intrusive - the best solution would be to have a room on the non-road side, or wear ear plugs as I did (the added benefit that it also inhibited the noise from fellow residents which started early and finished late).

I had no problem with cleanliness/housekeeping matters or room equipment etc for either of my stays.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable and to be clear, the 'road' some talk about where the 3rd-party owned diner is located is the road separating it from the motel and which leads to the rear parking area - it's not Mono Way, so it's about 20ft away !

Regularly busy, each morning you have to collect your 'voucher' (from reception) for a selection of meals OR it can be used as $5 off other menu items; drinks are extra BUT you can take your own coffee in, handy as the motel reception has free coffee on tap !

I've attached a photo of the voucher so you can see the choices and overall 'meal deal'.

So, whilst I didn't exactly enjoy my stay at the Aladdin Inn it served it's purpose perfectly adequately for use as a base for local travelling and accessing nearby facilities. Nowhere in the Sonora area seemed to offer quite the same value when compared to, for example, Monterey (East Ca) where I stayed later (it was also only about 30% cheaper than my Days Inn room in central San Francisco, with similar facilities); I assume this is because Yosemite is on the route for many, so demand etc dictates prices. The 'bonuses' I think you might consider with the Aladdin Inn vs others are the lack of parking issues and the 'proper' breakfast on offer.

Room Tip: Facing Away from Mono Way