All reviews san francisco free breakfast free shuttle yogurt an early flight rental car room was large united airlines business center parking fee coffee maker shuttle service bed was very comfortable one night stay airport sfo fly
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

I am a Spire Elite member with IHG and have been to this hotel numerous times in the past. What transpired is unacceptable and the manager should be fired!!!

My mother-in-law had a stroke, I missed my trip out to SFO, I called them on the day I was supposed to be there. I asked that the charge be waived due to circumstances beyond my control. They wouldn't budge saying the hotel "policy" is you must cancel by 6 pm the night before. I told them that would be great if she had a stroke then, not today. The GM said he would call me back in a few hours since I was on my way back to the hospital. He never did.

I called him back 24 hours later. He said, and I quote "I haven't decided what I want to do yet." Seriously? Is he waiting for a certain date to pass so he gets credits from corporate? He said he would call me back on Friday. It came and went. I called corporate on Saturday.

Corporate was amazing, they said they got ahold of him and he would refund half of my charge, and they would send me a check for the other half. A few days went by and corporate's check came and I deposited it. The Holiday Inn Express did NOT refund anything, but charged me a second time for the stay!!!

Back to corporate, and talking to the Assistant Manager. I was ready to file theft and credit card fraud charges on them for billing me again. The Assistant manager finally made good.

Absolutely the worse GM in a hospitality organization. We never know when something will go wrong, but it would be nice to know that there are humans out there. Here there are not.

If the property wants to challenge me on this review, fine. I have deep pockets and time. It is about ethics.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Realtravelingthomas
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you, Thomas for leaving us such a detailed review. We are very sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's stroke, and we hope that she is recovering well. We apologize sincerely for the delay and confusion surrounding your refund - this should, of course, have been processed immediately once it had been sanctioned. We are thoroughly investigating why this was not done - there seems to have been a genuine error made when you were charged again rather than being refunded. We will ensure that our procedures and protocols are updated to ensure that such an issue does not arise again. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next in town.

Best Regards,
Holiday Inn Express SFO
Customer ExperienceTeam

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Stayed here overnight for my nephew's wedding in The City. Having stayed here before on business my expectations were high--and I was not disappointed.

The staff were all friendly and eager to assist in any way. We were traveling with my brother & sister in law and upon check asked if we could have adjoining rooms. At first this seemed not possible, yet after a bit of resorting, was able to make it happen!

While not huge the room is spacious and clean. The bed quite comfortable, although the pillows were far to soft for me. But that's just personal feelings, my wife thought they were great.

In-room coffee and a small refrigerator and microwave.

The hotel also has a pool / Jacuzzi and a work out room with weights and treadmills.

Free breakfast does not disappoint either and consists of assorted cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, pancakes, sausage, biscuits juices, and coffee.

They also have regular shuttle service to the S F Airport.

No 5th star only due to the $10.00 parking fee.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
kamesh n, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Good morning,

We are truly elated that you are not only disappointed with your stay but you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities we had to offer. We thank you for recognizing our team for their eagerness to assist our valued guests. We appreciate your liking our breakfast bar had to offer and we sincerely appreciate and thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I booked this hotel months in advance...prepaid for the three nights because it was cheaper. A week before we arrived my nephew died so I wanted to cancel the room and get my money back...nope. They refused to refund my money. The airline, rental car, other hotels and even a bay tour was all refunded. So this cost me over $600 and never stayed at this hotel.....and believe me with this kind of customer service, I never will!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport-North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Hello Nonie C,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco-Airport North, CA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I was very disappointed in this Holiday Inn Express. First off, they usually greet us as Platinum Elite members. That did not happen at all. We got no welcome gift, no anything. The Lady at the desk was not friendly. She checked us in. Her name was Fran. After she checked us in for the Park and fly, I asked her where we would need to go when we got back to catch the shuttle. She replied, " Well you just go outside and go across, I THINK it is stand 14". I looked at her and said, " You THINK or you KNOW"? She replied.. I think it is stand 14.. OH MY GOODNESS! So we went to our room and when we got there there was a bag of garbage in front of our door! We had to park our dolly in the hall and carry everything into the room past the garbage because we didn't want to touch it. I called and reported the lady at the desk and they said they were going to call her. I said I didn't think that was a good idea because she might retaliate.. They said she would not She also did not credit my rewards points.. I called down and asked for a wake up call. She asked me if I would like them to call my cell phone in case the phone wasn't working. I replied yes. Guess what??? NO WAKE UP CALL.. Thankfully I woke up and did not miss my plane. This gave me a very bad opinion of this hotel and I am afraid that is why the rating is so low. Really our room was alright and everyone else did a good job. Our car was still there when we got back. Would I stay there again.. Maybe if Fran wasn't there. I don't think she shows the care we usually see at the IGH hotels.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sally J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased to see your high rating with regards to the location of our hotel. On the other hand, I am sorry for the unexpected experience you had with the service and response you received from our front office staff. I am also sorry for the inconvenience you had with the cleanliness of your room. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For this reason, we find your comments troubling. Nevertheless, I've noted down your comments and passed them over to our internal teams so they can check the areas that may need further/more attention.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for being our loyal IHG Rewards Club Platinum member. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to send us an email at IHGService@ihg.com or contact our Manager-on-Duty.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 5 September 2017

If it were possible to give negative stars, this place is probably at a negative five.

After a long, hot day, we decided to order food from a big chain restaurant down the street from the hotel. We started a movie on tv and waited patiently after calling the front desk to ask if they'll deliver food to our room or if we needed to go get it. We were told they would deliver to the room. Half an hour went by. We got a text that our food was on it's way. Another 15 minutes or so went by and we got another text to enjoy our dinner. Since no one came to the door,we went down to the front desk to check.

THE FOOD DELIVERY DRIVER, THE HOTEL DESK ATTENDANT, AND OTHER HOTEL GUESTS IN THE LOBBY WERE EATING OUR FOOD.

The hotel employee was saying, "Yeah, someone in Texas named [blank] ordered this and paid for it but didn't--" when my friend interrupted and said, "You mean me? I'm [blank] and you're eating MY food."

The employee, Fran, never apologized. Instead of trying to make the situation right, she backed away from the desk as my friend started talking to the delivery driver. She claimed the driver told her the order appeared to be from Texas when he called the number (which makes no sense) and made no attempt to find out if it was for a guest staying at the hotel, despite my friend's full name being written on one of the boxes from which she was allowing people to get food. (Hotel guests were literally grabbing plates from the breakfast area to serve themselves from the boxes.) When we reminded her that we had JUST called to inform her that we were having food delivered, she said she "vaguely" remembered the phone call.

We finally were able to find out the name of the hotel manager through the Holiday Inn corporate Twitter account. When we spoke to him the next day, he stated that he would have to complete an investigation into the situation before doing anything for us. He was barely apologetic. When we said that we felt we should not have to pay for the hotel stay and parking, he replied with, "It's San Francisco. You have to pay for parking everywhere." Which was both rude and not the point at all. He finally agreed to comp our parking, but when we checked out, the front desk clerk told us she had no power to do that, and he hadn't bothered to call her and tell her about it.

He had ended the call by promising us he would be in on Monday to complete the investigation. He conveniently forgot that it was Labor Day and he would not be in. He did not follow up until we called him back.

Holiday Inn's corporate staff has been similarly unhelpful. We were offered $47.42 (how they got to that number, I don't know) or loyalty points to put towards another stay, as if we will ever set foot on another one of their properties ever again after this.

Situation is ongoing, and we were once again told that the manager, Kamesh, will be contacting us tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 7 September 2017

On behalf of the entire staff at the Holiday Inn Express, we would like to thank you for your stay and regret that this situation has not been resolved to your satisfaction despite our best efforts to appease you. It is customary for us to not challenge guest claims, even if false, when we receive negative reviews and to use such reviews to help better improve our staff, product, and services; however, this response will be a first and hopefully last exception to our response policy.
As mentioned during our many conversations regarding this matter, this was an order placed through a third-party food vendor – DoorDash.com, which is a third-party entity that has no affiliation or relationship with the Hotel. Upon arriving at the Hotel, the delivery agent was unable to supply the Hotel with a name or telephone number that matched a guest’s registered profile, which, if requested, does include other occupants in the room. The Hotel did try to assist the delivery agent for DoorDash.com; however, for purposes of guest security, we cannot randomly share guest names with random visitors who simply walk into the Hotel in the hopes of finding a “possible match”. Also, we cannot disturb all Hotel guests by randomly calling each room in the hopes of finding a guest that actually placed a food order. Lastly, as there are other Holiday Inn properties in the SFO market, food delivery errors are quite common.
The delivery agent, who was an independent contractor of DoorDash.com, did not have your telephone number and was unable to resolve this matter with DoorDash.com. The texts that you mentioned were not made by the delivery agent himself since he did not have your actual telephone number. The delivery agent and DoorDash.com were unable to provide the Hotel with any additional information that would help the Hotel locate the correct guest.
After all reasonable attempts to successfully complete the order were made, the delivery agent chose to leave the food at the Hotel instead of throwing it away. Ultimately, the food, as you mentioned, was consumed by other Hotel patrons, the delivery agent (who, we assume was doing so without any concern of losing his job), and Fran, the front desk agent on duty. Fran has been an employee in good standing with the Hotel for over eleven years and has overseen thousands of food deliveries without any accusations of any wrongdoing ever occurring until now.
As a result of this incident, we have changed our policy to have the food delivery agent take back any food that cannot be successfully delivered. It is our understanding that DoorDash.com did refund you the money for the food purchase. We did offer the compensation that was mentioned in your review as a goodwill courtesy. We were unable to honor your request to refund your entire stay or parking charges since this was a miscommunication between you, DoorDash.com, and the delivery agent. Our management response to your matter was slower than usual due to the holiday and due to the fact that it was very difficult to get any information from DoorDash.com when investigating this matter. Again, we deeply regret this situation and we hope that this matter can be resolved in a much more reasonable and honest manner.